What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Something loose when I tap top right of back?

kevinhunter

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Gordon how did you get on. I seem to have the same issue. Slight noise up near the sleep/lock button and the button is quite loose. Was in the apple store today and they said was quite normal but also kinda hinted if I insisted they would swap it. I didn't go for this straight away as they were also taking in my MBP for repair and I didn't want to be left with nothing as I use for work. And also I have icarbon skins and won't get them refunded and they came from the states...anyways just wondered how you got on and if the rattle is gone. Ps is your lock button slightly movable. Think they thought I was an OCD freak (well I kinda am;) thanks, Kevin

seneca18

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just FYI, the sound you guys are hearing could be the camera. Some make more of a noise than others but the new iPad has the same auto focus feature as the iPhones and when you tap it or even when you set it on the table you will hear it. This really concerned me with my iPhone but it is completely normal. My iPad makes similar noise only not as noticeable. I cannot be sure this is what you are hearing but from what you describe and where you are hearing this sound from this could very well be the case.

Edit: A tip to try is open the camera up and manually lock the focus on an image up close. After you have done that tap near the camera to see if it still makes this noise.

kevinhunter

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks. It's def more noticeable in my ipad3 compared to an ipad2 . Just out of interest. Is your lock screen button quite wobbly? Thanks , Kevin

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Gordon49 said:
Ok fine. But I better have this sorted tomorrow because it's stressing me the hell out! I'm gonna throw a fit in the shop most likely if they don't give me a new one!

You need to cool off before you go down there. They won't appreciate you acting all upset! And you won't be able to tell if you get a refurb or not.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
G

Gordon49

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Many apologies guys, I am shortly leaving for my "appointment" actually I considered it maybe the camera but I'll wait for them to diagnose it. Kevin, lock button is a little moveable. Even if it is because I've not locked the focus or whatever surely it shouldn't make that noise? It still worries me its not normal and could lead to it becoming faulty later on when not under warranty. It's just this is only weeks old, and I take great care of my tech and want it to be fresh and perfect. If they decide to open it up and fix it and glue it back together, will I notice? Or will it still appear perfect? I guess a refurbished one would be no better than getting this back. I just feel its unfair how I must have been sold a slightly faulty device and I won't get another new one in return that is satisfactory but instead they'll open it and it will no longer be perfect.

Kevin, do you reckon they may give me a swap? Given its practically new. I'll let you know how I get on shortly.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
They may indeed give you a swap. Make sure to back up your iPad before you take it to the Apple store. You can set up the new iPad from the backup of the old one.

OP
G

Gordon49

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Alright, things went very well! Now typing on my new device. I think it is new and not refurbished. Sat at the genius bar and was soon seen. He understood it, first checked with others about the issue being recognised on the iPhone 4s but determined not so on the iPad 3. We went round the display ones. And as it turns out a few of them made that same noise and all others made it but just much more quietly, and in the end the nice man said he was happy to replace it for satisfaction and I am. Yes it still makes a noise, but probably at just a quarter of the volume on my previous one. And I think this is normal. So I'm taking great care of this one immediately, and pretending that that noise doesn't exist, and despite the urge I'm not going to tap it again to check. Also interestingly, the smart cover seems to fit this one better and the switches are less loose too. so maybe that was an all round dodgy device?

I'm now looking forward to continuing setting this up and discovering it with enjoyment whilst using these most helpful forums :) and I do apologise for my outbursts yesterday - I am most happy now.

Happy ipadding!

fleur07

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Gordon49 said:
Alright, things went very well! Now typing on my new device. I think it is new and not refurbished. Sat at the genius bar and was soon seen. He understood it, first checked with others about the issue being recognised on the iPhone 4s but determined not so on the iPad 3. We went round the display ones. And as it turns out a few of them made that same noise and all others made it but just much more quietly, and in the end the nice man said he was happy to replace it for satisfaction and I am. Yes it still makes a noise, but probably at just a quarter of the volume on my previous one. And I think this is normal. So I'm taking great care of this one immediately, and pretending that that noise doesn't exist, and despite the urge I'm not going to tap it again to check. Also interestingly, the smart cover seems to fit this one better and the switches are less loose too. so maybe that was an all round dodgy device?

I'm now looking forward to continuing setting this up and discovering it with enjoyment whilst using these most helpful forums :) and I do apologise for my outbursts yesterday - I am most happy now.

Happy ipadding!

I'm glad things turned out to your satisfaction.

Most reactions

Latest posts