What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Some questions

dragon499

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Tim Cooke described that the iWatch can use Wifi shared from an iPhone. Does that mean that is does not have built in WIFI? Also, can it use WIFI from an iPad? Does it have an audio file player? If so, can one use a Bluetooth headset with it? How much file storage does it have?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
They didn't get into the nitty gritty, but from what I heard here is my guesses.

Like the iPhone AirDrop feature, the Watch is going to have both wi-fi and Bluetooth, and will use a combination of them to communicate with the iPhone efficiently. Bluetooth will be used in it's low power mode to keep in touch with the iPhone, and send small amounts of not-time-sensitive data to/from the iPhone.

When speed or larger amounts of data need to be transferred, Bluetooth will be used to initiate a peer-to-peer wi-fi connection between the iPhone and Watch. You can probably expect this to happen during navigation (so the Watch can use the iPhone's GPS) and for Siri interaction; among other things.

The Watch itself will not communicate directly with wi-fi hotspots or cellular data.

This is why they said it 'required' an iPhone 5 or later to work. That is the first phone to have the full AirDrop bluetooth/wi-fi hardware requirements. Older phones can only 'partially' implement the peer-to-peer features of AirDrop.

Anyway, that's my guess.

Last edited:

Gtatler

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Tim Cooke described that the iWatch can use Wifi shared from an iPhone. Does that mean that is does not have built in WIFI? Also, can it use WIFI from an iPad? Does it have an audio file player? If so, can one use a Bluetooth headset with it? How much file storage does it have?

iPad is not quoted anywhere on the Apple web page devoted to the watch. Unfortunate because that's all I have. By the way the iPhone will require IOS 8.2 to communicate - when it is released.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
iPad is not quoted anywhere on the Apple web page devoted to the watch. Unfortunate because that's all I have. By the way the iPhone will require IOS 8.2 to communicate - when it is released.

8.2 is supposed to be released this week, maybe even today.

Gtatler

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Not much in 8.2 except for accessing etc.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
8.2 is supposed to be released this week, maybe even today.

Today it is. Just finished watching the Apple Event. Lots of good stuff besides the watch.

8.2 includes the apps necessary to run the Apple Watch. The main app includes the watch part of the App Store, and the ability to configure the watch. I believe the new Activity tracker app will be included as well. That 'might' have some functionality without the watch. I'm not sure. They didn't say.

No major new revelations about the Apple Watch, other than the pricing. The gold Edition watches will be as limited and expensive as the luxury market crowd predicted. The regular, stainless steal watches will vary a lot depending on the band, but should be affordable for those that really want one. I'm still looking at the sports version that starts are $349. I want the big one though, so it will be $399, and tax.

I'm far more interested in the features than the fashion part, though I'm hardly going to complain that even the Sports Edition looks pretty nice.

Much to think over this week.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The software is already installing on my Air, and updating on my iPhone.

There's nothing I have to think over. The Watch will not be available in April in my country. The Apple Store shows "Available in 2015".

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The software is already installing on my Air, and updating on my iPhone.

There's nothing I have to think over. The Watch will not be available in April in my country. The Apple Store shows "Available in 2015".
You could go to the nearest Apple Store in Germany if that's practical for you.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You could go to the nearest Apple Store in Germany if that's practical for you.
I'd have to drive for about 5 or 6 hours to get to a German Apple Store.
Maybe I can to take a look at them when I'm in London.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'd have to drive for about 5 or 6 hours to get to a German Apple Store.
Maybe I can to take a look at them when I'm in London.
At least you'll have exactly what you want already picked out when they finally become available in Austria.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Here's a look at the new Apple Watch app.
image.jpg
image.jpg

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
At least you'll have exactly what you want already picked out when they finally become available in Austria.
I know which one I'd like, but I think that will have to wait. I've ordered a MacBook Pro yesterday, before the Apple Store was updated.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I know which one I'd like, but I think that will have to wait. I've ordered a MacBook Pro yesterday, before the Apple Store was updated.

It shouldn't be too late to cancel your order and get one with the new updated processor and trackpad. I would.

Most reactions

Latest posts