What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

U.S. Teens are Showing Fast-growing Interest for the Rumored iWatch

RaduTyrsina

News Team
Reaction score
Apple-iWatch-Job-Listing-620x600.jpg

The iWatch is not yet here, but reports and surveys are being conducted to assess a potential response from consumers. Various analysts and banks are interested in what the audience thinks because this information can serve as investment guidelines for its own clients. According to Piper Jaffray’s yearly Spring Teen Survey, it was discovered that for teens in the U.S., the iPhone seems to be the first choice when thinking of buying a new smartphones. While this is no surprise, it’s interesting to observe that younger consumers are showing an increased interest in the much rumored iWatch.

Currently, about six percent of the roughly 7,500 teens surveyed own a smartwatch of some ilk, a number slightly higher than expected considering a general lack of choice in the marketplace, said senior research analyst Gene Munster. More importantly, however, are the 17 percent of teens who indicated they would purchase an “iWatch†if Apple were to launch the product at a price point below $350.

The survey was conducted on 7,500 teens and 17 percent of them said they would be interested in acquiring the iWatch if it had a selling price of less than $350. It’s interesting to observe that 6 percent of them said they currently own a smartwatch device. While this is not a big number, it can be explained by the fact that smartwatch devices represent a nascent market.

Senior research analyst Gene Munster, who shared the survey’s results with investors, says that teens’ interest is bigger than what the general public showed in October, last year. He also said that Apple will sell around 5 to 10 million iWatch units in its first full year. Tim Cook himself said that Apple is working on a new category of devices, so could it be that he was referring to the iWatch?

Source: iWatchMag

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Not surprised. The smaller the better from what I can tell as far as teens are concerned. Going to be interesting watching them squinting even more than they do now trying to see a puny screen on a watch. Whatever :)

Ser Aphim

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I don't see how these "Smart watch" would be useful. In fact I don't use a watch at all. My iPad gives me all what a watch could do.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I don't see how these "Smart watch" would be useful. In fact I don't use a watch at all. My iPad gives me all what a watch could do.

I use a watch everyday. There are lots of places I go without an iPad.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Not surprised. The smaller the better from what I can tell as far as teens are concerned. Going to be interesting watching them squinting even more than they do now trying to see a puny screen on a watch. Whatever :)

I'm not a teen and I never have to squint to see my watch.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Depending on my current way of life, I rarely go out of my house. And if I did I always bring my iPad.

You are by no means average. An iWatch is simply not for you, but I'm surprised you can't see how others may find it useful.

Good karma

iPF Noob
Reaction score
well i saw the Samsung watch, the new one which is thinner and has heart rate monitor, i won't be getting it, but i will see how the apple's watch is like and then decide. ATM i have no need for such watches

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Well what good is it to you guys? How can it be useful?

1) tell time (while phone is in pocket)
2) get notifications (calenders, appointments, etc); useful in meetings when you don't want to be glancing at your phone
3) see who is calling so you know if you want to get the phone or not
4) get weather at a glance (temp, rain likely, etc)
5) possible to have a pedometer built in so you can get an idea of if you need to be more active (assuming you care about fitness)
6) possible to get an idea of how many calories you have burned if the device can track heart rate (again, assuming you care about your own fitness)
7) track stuff (geeks like to track stuff, if possible)

Ser Aphim

iPF Novice
Reaction score
1) tell time (while phone is in pocket)
2) get notifications (calenders, appointments, etc); useful in meetings when you don't want to be glancing at your phone
3) see who is calling so you know if you want to get the phone or not
4) get weather at a glance (temp, rain likely, etc)
5) possible to have a pedometer built in so you can get an idea of if you need to be more active (assuming you care about fitness)
6) possible to get an idea of how many calories you have burned if the device can track heart rate (again, assuming you care about your own fitness)
7) track stuff (geeks like to track stuff, if possible)

Yep. No use for me.

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'm not a teen and I never have to squint to see my watch.

Not to check the time you don't. But, to read an email or play a game? Or, better yet, to watch a movie or something? That's going to be rather interesting.....:)

Ser Aphim

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Not to check the time you don't. But, to read an email or play a game? Or, better yet, to watch a movie or something? That's going to be rather interesting.....:)

Yeh read an email or play a game in a watch? With that screen?

Most reactions

Latest posts