What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Solar charging

dbdoug

iPF Noob
Reaction score
For what it's worth: I just purchased a 12v/5.5watt solar panel to experiment with charging my iPad. It's about 12inches by 14inches. I hooked it up through a car lighter socket and a USB charger, which works just fine when I use it in my car.

The iPad shows the charging symbol when it is plugged in.

Result: On a bright sunny day, with me moving the panel every hour to keep it pointed at the sun, I got about 7% of a full charge in 4 hours. Not so great...

NumbLock

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Interesting! Where did you get the solar panel and which one?

My iPhone and iPad are TOTAL camping accessories. I have the Solio Classic for the iPhone, but nothing yet powerful enough for iPad.

Samurai

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Very nice! I have a Npower peg charger on order. It works by converting your kinetic energy while walking or running to electricity. Once I get it I will post a report on how it works.

OP
D

dbdoug

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Solar panel continued

> Interesting! Where did you get the solar panel and which one?

I got it at Canadian Tire (I'm in Canada, funnily enough). It was about $80. I found the website.

I can't post links yet, so you'll have to look up Sunforceproducts, the product_id is 58 and it's called 'Solar 12 Volt Battery Trickle Charger'

Doug

figmo10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If civilization ever declines to a point where store-bought electricity is unavailable for powering my iPad, I doubt my iPad will be of much use to my survival.

OP
D

dbdoug

iPF Noob
Reaction score
>If civilization ever declines to a point where store-bought electricity is unavailable for powering my iPad, I doubt my iPad will be of much use to my survival.

Apart from the fact that I will be taking my iPad camping (in my kayak), I live in an area where there is perfectly good cell phone reception, but the power supply can be problematic. Our power was out for nearly a week in April after a spring storm.

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
I'm thinking it would be better to have the solar panel setup to charge a small battery with a meetor that will prevent overcharging. The small battery can then be charging all day and you just hook up to the battery when needing to recharge the iPad. Charging directly from the battery would be much faster than from the solar panel.

I had a setup similar to this in my car a year ago. Solarpanel charged a boat battery in the trunk and then I had a live webcam and mifi hotspot running off the battery. Something like a boat battery however would not work when camping, its way to heavy and big.

OP
D

dbdoug

iPF Noob
Reaction score
>I'm thinking it would be better to have the solar panel setup to charge a small battery with a meter that will prevent overcharging. The small battery can then be charging all day and you just hook up to the battery when needing to recharge the iPad

The problem is that the battery on the iPad is the equivalent of about 10 AAA batteries, so charging a 'small' battery isn't going to help much. I've got a couple of battery packs that will hold 2 iPhone charges, but they will only fill about 20% of the iPad charge.

sbc2010

iPF Noob
Reaction score
For what it's worth: I just purchased a 12v/5.5watt solar panel to experiment with charging my iPad. It's about 12inches by 14inches. I hooked it up through a car lighter socket and a USB charger, which works just fine when I use it in my car.

The iPad shows the charging symbol when it is plugged in.

Result: On a bright sunny day, with me moving the panel every hour to keep it pointed at the sun, I got about 7% of a full charge in 4 hours. Not so great...

:ipad-front: I think the iPad's solar charger battery case, 4400mah, USB 5V/ 2A output in SIMENIBIZ shop would be a better 1.

johanwhite

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think that you did a great experiment. You got a solar panel for charging your iPad. You are lucky to get that solar panel. I also want to buy such solar panel. From Where can I get it ? Please help me to get it.

jinxx00

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've been looking on Kickstarter & came across the 'Lilypad Solar Case for IPad'. It seems there are some 'name' problems for the product and possibly some manufacturing faults as well. I'm keen for the case and the bag but does anyone have any knowledge of the product or it's production status and when it may be available?

elglobie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Very nice! I have a Npower peg charger on order. It works by converting your kinetic energy while walking or running to electricity. Once I get it I will post a report on how it works.

Can you give a link to this product ?

lwestlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I purchased a 15 watt folding solar charger (SunLeaf Pro) for my hiking trip to Glacier National Park. It was able to charge my iPad 2 33% in about 3 hours of direct sunlight. They gave me a coupon code for $20 off my next order, but I don't need a second one. So here is the code. "THANKS20"

dukstuf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've been looking on Kickstarter & came across the 'Lilypad Solar Case for IPad'. It seems there are some 'name' problems for the product and possibly some manufacturing faults as well. I'm keen for the case and the bag but does anyone have any knowledge of the product or it's production status and when it may be available?

Lilypad is now Kudo because Apple objected to the "pad" in lilypad. Apparently Apple was around before God created lilypads. It's produced by a very green, quite small company.

It's a solar ipad case that appears pretty tough and is manufactured out of 80% recycled materials. It extends the battery life, recharging indoors and out. It has HDMI-out built into the unit. It has a USB charging port for your phone and stuff. It comes in a couple of funky colors.

I don't think it can stand up to heavy use and never need recharging...if your on your ipad many hours a day, it will only extend the times between charges.

Still, it's innovative and green, and worth a look to anyone interested in conservation and supporting smaller mom and pop companies.

Most reactions

Latest posts