What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

So - So review

msukc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Before I get flamed (or maybe I won't), I think the ipad is an impressive device. I just think, perhaps, a laptop is better for the price.

Thoughts on the ipad:

1. I miss a keyboard with the ipad. I am actually debating if I should list this on ebay. But I think I will just stick this out and see where it goes.

2. I think my droid x does just about everything this thing does.

3. Goofy interface. Maybe I don't have enough experience with apple products. But, auto fill is annoying. The virtual keyboard should be better in my opinion and is cumbersome. Sometimes ".com" is available. Sometimes it isn't. I like this button. We have a large screen. Make it available all the time. And, why is "@" available all the time too? Make for entering logins annoying.

4. Website compatibility. I have already ran into sites that don't run well. Obvious mouse pointer flash related so I wont dwell. Just surprise that it annoys so much.

5. Most of the apps are made for iphone not just the ipad. I hope this changes but I expect iphones are a bigger market.

6. Searching for ipad apps suck using the app store. I want to find a nice app to help my 5 year old to spell and do math. Hard to find. How about a nice app for 18 month old. Doesn't exist either free or paid.

7. Battery life - awesome. This is a huge plus imo.

8. Quick boot. I read somewhere that it was a 10 second boot. Not the case. It is basically instant on. Another huge plus. Another huge huge plus. Not sure why but I love short boots. I built a home pc with an i7 and solid state drive. Still takes 40 seconds to boot. This things is instant and I respect that.

9. Sleek. This thing is sleek. If you look it up in a dictionary it should have a photo of an ipad.

10. Quirky. I have had instances of delayed response. I get this with my droid but assumed it wouldn't happen with an apple product.

I will leave it at ten points. Overall impressive device. but I may be a pc guy. nothing wrong with that really.

Go ahead an comment on my comments. YMMV. what am I missing? Is there an app I have to get that will help change my mind?

Martlet

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It isn't that you're missing anything, you're just comparing it to a laptop. It's not a laptop.

NumbLock

iPF Novice
Reaction score
60k apps and counting. I don't disagree with your review, but I place very heavy weight on the battery, portability, and apps.

Kabona

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ummm last thing i am doing is letting an 18 month old play with my ipad that cost over a grand lol

Reaction score
I'm an Android addict as well so I'll chime in.
Since you are used to Android you should be used to the fact that out of the box it was lacking. Same with the Ipad, there IS an app for just about anything lacking. Notice I wrote just about.
Your instant on is from sleep. Turning it on from a true power down takes a lot less than your phone will but is still about a minute
May I suggest an app called "app shopper "? It has helped me a lot.
For kids stuff I , just like on the Android market, typed "free kids games " and found plenty of them, many way too young for my 3 year old.
Just like when I acclimated from Windows Mobile to Android, the initial process was very frustrating and I initially wondered had I made the right choice but I found an Inc forum that made it go much smoother and you have found a good one in this one for your Ipad acclimation.
There are several physical keyboards you can buy that blow the on screen one away and I've found a few apps that are better than the stock keyboard. They aren't like Android that replace the stock so much as they are copy/paste keyboards. You'd have to try one to see what I mean and. App shopper will help you find the best values.

Support Our Troops!!
This post was Tapatalk approved. Sent from my Incpad

OP
M

msukc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses. I am coming around a bit on this device. I don't argue this is the best tablet out there, I am just trying to find out where it fits in my tech lineup.

I expected the "can't compare it to a laptop" response. This point is obvious. My point is that isn't a 500-700 tablet device designed to if not replace a laptop, at least, compete with one? Apparently this is another obvious "no".

But I say it does warrant comparison to a laptop. For one, the price is similar. Two, many people probably think "do I need laptop or tablet?" For this question to be answered, they need to be compared. Or maybe I am the only person that thought do I need a new laptop or should I just get the ipad? Honestly, the ipad sits right between a smartphone and a laptop and it overlaps each. No big deal at the end of the day because I have laptops, pcs, smartphones but not everyone does or is willing to pay and manage all of them. I love the variety and therefore will most likely find my uses for the ipad. Light, quick, games, travel type uses. I think my real "work" will be on my laptop and pc.

I am not used to the ipad interface and it isn't intuitive for me. I would love a task bar, ability to close applications (especially when they are running with a delay like safari on some sites), ability to delete applications like photobooth, gamecenter. I am sure I can get rid of these but it isnt a simple add remove program option that I usually use.

I have had this thing for almost a month. It is very app driven and this is obviously the key. The thing about apps I have found is it is difficult to know which ones are good. Sure, I can browse forums but that isn't real efficient. The more efficient it is to get practical apps I will actually use increases the effectiveness of this device immensely.

I just started using the app shopper and it does seem a little better than the standard app store. But it isn't the best solution but it has more parameter to sort by.

As far as letting my 18 month old use it, it isn't like I just let him take to the sand box with him. It is while he is in my lap or when I am on the floor with him. I thought there would be some shapes, numbers, letters, picture type things for him on a simpler level than what my 5 year old uses. I have found a couple of neat ones but it is difficult to search.

I am coming around and using this thing more and more. Keep in mind, I am kind of a snob when it comes to apple products. And at least I admit it.

Real proof to me will be if I am still using 6 months or 12 months from now. Its been a month now and I am definitely using it more than the Ipod touch second generation I bought. I have a feeling if the apps become better and better, I may get some good use out of it.

One last thought on the keyboard, is there a good one for "lounging" positions. I don't like the idea of having to sit at a table. I might as well boot up a laptop or work at my desktop pc. How about just sitting on a sofa, laying in bed? This is where the ipad excels since it is so damn portable.

I will close with my perspective that I like this device and I am impressed. As with any technology, I would like it to be better.

Most reactions