What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Smart covers?

Captfx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Last edited:

jerseymaggie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just wanted to post my thoughts as I just got one from eBay. I got a generic smart cover from eBay a few days ago in red. Works FANTASTIC. Be careful, some of the ones on eBay don't work on the new iPad. I had a friend who ordered from a different eBay seller and got one that doesn't sleep or wake her new iPad. She's ok with it but saw mine and is thinking about ordering a new one from the person I ordered from.

Hope that helps!

Last edited:

Kamakzie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just wanted to post my thoughts as I just got one from eBay.. I got a generic smart cover from eBay a few days ago in red. Works FANTASTIC. Be careful, some of the ones on eBay don't work on the new iPad. I had a friend who ordered from a different eBay seller and got one that doesn't sleep or wake her new iPad. She's ok with it but saw mine and is thinking about ordering a new one from th person I ordered from.

Hope that helps!

May I ask which seller you used?

Djdan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the black leather and looks great - 6 months of use. Leather ages, and it's on par with other leather items. I love the thinness, but I do a lot of reading and watching in bed, and the smart cover is horrible for that. I have several cases and switch back and forth depending my needs.

Sent from my IPad (3rd Gen)

Mikekan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Leather is great, I used to own the plastic when I was with ipad2 but I decided to go with the light brown leather one. It looks great on the ipad. Leather is supposed to look good as it wears off, I hope this is the case.

By the way I cannot stand any other case for the ipad except the smart cover.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Does anyone know if the sleep/wake function works with this cover for the new iPad? I don't see it mentioned in the discription and it has no reviews yet (except my question).

I was just told by someone at Navitech that they have reason to believe that these covers do not support the sleep/wake function and they are thus recalling them. They have two other covers which they claim work but these are not smart covers (please let me be known that I have NO connection with this company, I'm just a guy who ordered from them):

Amazon.com: MiTAB Rotating Red Bycast Leather Case / Cover For The New iPad Apple Third Generation ipad 3 (2012 release): Electronics

Amazon.com: MiTAB Black Leather Case With Adjustable Stand For The New iPad 2012: Electronics

OP
A

Andyvalver

iPF Noob
Reaction score
dhevans_6 said:
Where did you get the incipio case from? I think I might get one, as i'm still using my SC from my ipad2. The inside is mucky as anything and I might be brave and clean the outside (not the leather one)' but like the look of the incipio case for the back.

Trouble is I have the lime SC and I don't think they are shipping that yet in the US, let alone here in the UK..

Amazon mate. Although its quite pricey at £30 I feel it's the best one for the job. I don't expect it to save my iPad when dropped but I can slide it around on a table without the worry of scratching it.

Yakuzagang5

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a smart cover for my 3rd gen iPad, and I love it. Doesn't do anything about cleaning the screen, don't buy that crap, but it is perfect for what I need. It's essentially a hardcore screen protector, that can be removed. Protects it very well (as in, no scratches) when on, but can folded for typing, which is awesome, folded for watching video, which is pretty nice, or you can take it completely off, which I do when doing things in portrait mode cause it's awkward in portrait mode.

jerseymaggie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hmmmm....interesting. Have you compared the build quality of these to the genuine Apple Smart Covers?

No I haven't. I previously owned an iPad 1 so no smart cover for that one.

Granted I have only had this cover for 1 week, but I couldn't be more pleased. My iPad gets constant use and is in and out of my purse all day. I can't complain about the quality and for the price, if I get a year or two out of it, it was worth the money (and cost less than 1/2 of Apple's least expensive cover)!

Maggie

Macette

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Newf709 said:
I originally got the the black leather smart cover and that was a big mistake. The leather ones get dirty, scratch easily and just look like crap just after a couple weeks. Cannot clean them either. The non leather ones are great. Clean easily and look like new for a long time. Go with the non-leather ones. I agree the colors for the leather ones are better but I just went with the dark grey one. Looks great.

Yes I fully agree non leather had the same trouble, and found a great one on amazon non apple only cause of the price, works a treat..

Sent from my iPad 2 

Macette

iPF Novice
Reaction score
image-542117577.jpg

If your in UK try this one it's great

Sent from my iPad 2 

Most reactions

Latest posts