What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Smart cover "cleaning" abilities

Djthart

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a steinheil ultra crystal screen protector on mine and I absolutely luv it, I also have one on my htc evo, IMO, it's the best protector available, no orange peel, smooth, you can't tell it's on....about the smart cover....the inside of the cover seems to attract more dust and lint then it keeps off the screen, I can wipe my screen, close the cover, open it, and it's lint everywhere. I used a lint brush to clean the inside of the smart cover, it helped but it's a lint magnet!

yvrgal

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I used to have a screen protector from Zagg on my old iPad and the cover from the Apple case leave creases and fogging on the screen looking like it's dust. Just wondering if it's actually the screen protector causing it. Not really sure.

Bratan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
05GT said:
That's alotta dust! I use the Smart Cover and it doesn't really seem to clean much.

Not a dust, it's skin oil. I noticed it too. Looks like cover absorbes the oil and after a while starts to deposit it on the screen. Try cleanig the screen and then put cover back on. Lines would reappear. Anyone has any advice on how to clean microfiber on the cover?

OP
F

fmmrz5

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's just that the spots in between the sections of the cover aren't touching the screen so it shuffles all the oils not the three columns. Unfortunately I don't think there would be a way to avoid this. Just diligent cleaning.

ipaduser434

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Lint be gone

05GT said:
That's alotta dust! I use the Smart Cover and it doesn't really seem to clean much.

Not a dust, it's skin oil. I noticed it too. Looks like cover absorbes the oil and after a while starts to deposit it on the screen. Try cleanig the screen and then put cover back on. Lines would reappear. Anyone has any advice on how to clean microfiber on the cover?

I fold my cover so that the microfiber is on the inside; the specks on my screen were lint shedding from the microfiber, not skin oil.

Last night I used a lint roller on the microfiber. It picked up a fair amount of stuff. I then cleaned the screen and shut down the iPad for the night and this morning, low and behold, a spotless screen.

Folding the cover so that the microfiber is always on the inside should alleviate the skin oil residue. A lint roller on the microfiber takes care of the lint and whatever other gunk may have attached to the fiber. Not sure if it will clean up any skin oil residue, but worth a try.

Reaction score
Aspasia said:
I fold my cover so that the microfiber is on the inside; the specks on my screen were lint shedding from the microfiber, not skin oil.

Last night I used a lint roller on the microfiber. It picked up a fair amount of stuff. I then cleaned the screen and shut down the iPad for the night and this morning, low and behold, a spotless screen.

Folding the cover so that the microfiber is always on the inside should alleviate the skin oil residue. A lint roller on the microfiber takes care of the lint and whatever other gunk may have attached to the fiber. Not sure if it will clean up any skin oil residue, but worth a try.

Keeping the microfiber on the inside is certainly a good idea. However, when you fold it to a triangle, it only holds securely when the microfiber is on the outside, otherwise the iPad falls backwards when touching it. Certainly not ideal.

ipaduser434

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Will keep that in mind - although I have to admit that during the six days I've had my iPad, it hasn't left my hands (or lap)!

Bratan

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Got it. On mine it seems mostly skin oil, because lightly wiping it doesn't remove streaks, I really have to wipe it hard to remove it. Yeah good point about folding cover. I usually fold it in two, it's actually easier to hold like this because it doesn't "hang" :)

Tarkio

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Aspasia said:

Keeping the microfiber on the inside is certainly a good idea. However, when you fold it to a triangle, it only holds securely when the microfiber is on the outside, otherwise the iPad falls backwards when touching it. Certainly not ideal.

You can fold the microfiber to the inside when using the cover as a typing stand. That's how I use it most of the time and it's very stable. It's only in the vertical viewing position that the microfiber needs to be folded to the outside for stability.

kevbo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was very skeptical too, but it actually does work really well. I get the columns too, but its a hundred times better than having a bunch of nasty fingerprints all over. In fact, looking at it now, you can't tell at all that there are the columns there if the screen is on, and even when its off, it is very faint. Other than that, the screen is as clean as it was when I bought it. I hate covers, but the Smart Cover is well worth the money.

Also, I just realized that you can fold the cover over when you are using it and the end of the cover will "stick" magnetically to the other side of the iPad (the side with volume, mute, etc). It exposes the microfiber, but if I'm walking and holding it in one hand, it is nice to not have it dangle.

teny5557

iPF Noob
Reaction score
How about the outside?

How do you clean the outside of the cover?? I've heard some use an eraser to clean the outside of the cover, but i'm afraid that it'll create an uneven shade afterwards or if i do it repeatedly.

Tarkio

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Only use a thick microfiber cleaning cloth to screen the screen. The cloth seems to absorb the oil with very light rubbing. Just gently swipe off any large grit or dirt before rubbing the screen.

This is how I cleaned my original iPad for almost a year (3 or 4 times a day) and the screen was in perfect condition when I sold it.

ipaduser434

iPF Noob
Reaction score
How do you clean the outside of the cover?? I've heard some use an eraser to clean the outside of the cover, but i'm afraid that it'll create an uneven shade afterwards or if i do it repeatedly.

A damp cloth containing a bit of a mild liquid soap will clean the outside cover nicely - just make sure to use another damp cloth to wipe off any soapy residue. If you have a stubborn stain, the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser works wonders.

Most reactions