What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Slow Internet surfing

Ray

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Got my pad today love most everything about it except the net. It's like 20 times slower than dial up for me. I really wish it weren't because this could be a deal breaker for me. I am using the built in wifi in my Mac mini with a dsl connection. Had some wifi strength problems at first but they seem to have chilled a bit. Is this normal pages taking a very long time to load?

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Not at all...mine is very fast....websites load as fast as they do on a desktop.

OP
R

Ray

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wow that would be amazing. I am down to 20 percent battery
Life. It was like that before hope I don't have a wifi problem with my pad. Need to charge this thing my eyes are about bleeding from being on it so long.

Last edited:

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wow that would be amazing. I am down to 20 percent battery
Life. It was like that before hope I don't have a wifi problem with my pad. Need to charge this thing my eyes are about bleeding from being on it so long.

Must be using it like crazy....it takes me about 15 hours to get it to 20%

brhon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Got my pad today love most everything about it except the net. It's like 20 times slower than dial up for me. I really wish it weren't because this could be a deal breaker for me. I am using the built in wifi in my Mac mini with a dsl connection. Had some wifi strength problems at first but they seem to have chilled a bit. Is this normal pages taking a very long time to load?

I have tested my Ipad all over the house, McDonalds, Panera, Starbucks, etc. and no problems with pages loading. The only slow down I have is when the the App store is downloading updates in the background-that slowed it down a bit but not so much that it was a problem.

fairoasis

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I downloaded Speed Test from the app store. That will give you an idea of download and upload speeds on different networks.

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Slow speeds are usually a problem with the service, not the unit. Try comparing it with another iPad where possible, and with a laptop in other locations. In any case, this is not normal for the speed to be any slower than another computer.

Edlex

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you don't have another device at home to check your wifi then try to go to a public hotspot and see if you're experiencing the same slow speeds. If you are then exchange it. Apple has been very good about offering replacements for defective units.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
its def the service not the ipad (unless it's defective...which is possible)...I've been getting unbearably slow speeds at work so I started tethering to my droid when it starts slowing down and it speeds right up again....at home I average about 15Mbps...so no slowness at all there!

Rasputina

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The only time I have slow loading is from the websites server problem, and I've never gotten my ipad to anywhere near 20% lol.

OP
R

Ray

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My desktop is pretty fast but the iPad takes quite awhile to load a regular website with
Photos. I don't have any hotspots near me or i would give it a try. Maybe there are some tricks to setting Internet sharing for more speed on my mini. I wish i knew because this thing is awesome it's just hard not knowing whats going on. Should i try to send it back is my network? Tough descision to make when i don't know the cause. I am still getting used to the glass keyboard so sorry for the mistakes.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My desktop is pretty fast but the iPad takes quite awhile to load a regular website with
Photos. I don't have any hotspots near me or i would give it a try. Maybe there are some tricks to setting Internet sharing for more speed on my mini. I wish i knew because this thing is awesome it's just hard not knowing whats going on. Should i try to send it back is my network? Tough descision to make when i don't know the cause. I am still getting used to the glass keyboard so sorry for the mistakes.

More than likely replacing the unit will not help if it's just a slow connection. Do you have any other wifi devices to test it with?

Techdad2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Downloading updates from itunes can be painfuly slow, hate to think when I have thirty or forth apps and they all want to be updated.:(

OP
R

Ray

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Talked with a tech today still no go. I tried all kinds of stuff like changing the mtu and channels. Ran speedtest app sometimes half speed sometimes about full download speeds but always high ping. The weird thing is how long it takes for a website to load I mean long. It takes longer to load YouTube than it does a YouTube video. Getting somewhere is a pain it takes almost as long to open google or get a google search as it does for a video to play from the abc app.

Also reinstalled the os fresh that took sometime.

Last edited:
OP
R

Ray

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well I am gonna get a replacement from Apple i will let you all know how it works out.

Most reactions