What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Slow Backup on iTunes

Wigwam

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I did install a few apps and loaded up a few PDF files - which I have now removed!

It's a bit faster now - but hasn't yet completed a full backup!

BTW I notice that iTunes is repoting I have 485.7 MB of Other stuff on the iPad. What is this? It seems high for a devicethat has o movies or audioboos or msic installed. Only a few files in Pages and so on. (400.2 MB reported in Apps)

..... :confused:

Last edited:

Bigsauce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Another 64 bit machine. That seems like the constant.

Is your's jailbroken? That Other Stuff might be that since mine is Jailbroken and I have a decent amount of of "other" as well.

kevroc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have 778mb of other. It's any applications saved data, settings, caches, etc. I don't have a lot of saved data on mine either, just a handful of files.

I have a sync from 10 days ago that's 25mb, the one I did yesterday was 150mb. I installed probably 10 applications with misc data files so my backup increased 6 fold.

In Windows 7 you can check your folder size under your "C:\Users\*user*\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup"
in that directory are the folders containing your backups. What I did was if my backup was taking a long time but my folder size said 30mb's (and I know it shouldn't take long to backup 30 megs) then I knew I had a bad app that was causing the problem.

Wigwam

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's not jail broken - whatever that means - I've only been an apple user 1 week!:)

NumbLock

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I also use Windows 7 64 bit, but my backups aren't nearly as long as you guys. However I did find a cool desktop app called BackOff that allows you to toggle backups on and off.

I use it because enev the 5 minute backups annoy me and interrupt my busy schedule.

Bigsauce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I also use Windows 7 64 bit, but my backups aren't nearly as long as you guys. However I did find a cool desktop app called BackOff that allows you to toggle backups on and off.

I use it because enev the 5 minute backups annoy me and interrupt my busy schedule.

I connect my iPad, iTunes opens up, then in the top dialog box it says "backing up so and so's iPad", there is a little X there. I just hit that instead and it cancels the backup but it continues syncing new apps n'such. Pretty easy....

acglass

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The long back ups happen to me as well. I was able to find the folder on my Windows XP:

Documents and Settings\Application Data\MobileSync\Backup

...and the iPad has made a total of 8.6 Gb worth of back ups. That explains why it took so long to back up but what did it back up, pdf files, music, podcasts, tv shows... whatever it is I don't need a backup like that sitting on my harddrive.

Angie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The long back ups happen to me as well. I was able to find the folder on my Windows XP:

Documents and Settings\Application Data\MobileSync\Backup

...and the iPad has made a total of 8.6 Gb worth of back ups. That explains why it took so long to back up but what did it back up, pdf files, music, podcasts, tv shows... whatever it is I don't need a backup like that sitting on my harddrive.

Can one change the location of the backup file in Windows? I'd like to put
it on another partition.

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Can one change the location of the backup file in Windows? I'd like to put it on another partition.
I am sure you could move it anywhere you like after you do the backup, but the whole reason for having a backup is using it to restore your iPad if necessary. The problem with moving it is that iTunes won't know where to look for it so you would have to move it back to its original location if you ever needed to restore.

Clear as mud, eh?

Most reactions

Latest posts