What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Skype for the iPad

iDan

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
IPAD-SKYPE-NEWS-2410.jpg

According to Skype's blog, it may be just a short time before the iPhone version of Skype will work over AT&T's 3G network. Skype also announced they are currently reviewing the iPad and it's specs. We should hear more in the months to come.

What does this have to do with calling over 3G? The SDK (Software Development Kit) which Apple provides to developers like Skype has been upgraded for the iPad. The new version, 3.2, removes the restrictions on calling over 3G, which is great news.

You may have seen other apps offering calls over 3G, but we’re holding ours back for a little bit longer. Why? So that we can give you the very best audio quality we can. When our 3G-capable Skype for iPhone app is released, it’ll let you make calls in wideband audio, giving you greater clarity and fidelity – because that’s what you expect from Skype.
Check out a video interview after the jump.

{Source: Skype}

OP
iDan

iDan

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bd9hNq4ZIqU]YouTube - Skype calling over 3G on iPhone - coming soon[/ame]

JohnnyApple

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I believe I read somewhere that Apple (actually, more AT&T) just approved Sling over 3G, and VOIP over 3G so Skype is sure to follow.

iBean

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Did I hear it right, that Skype to Skype calls will soon be available in the iTouch? Since the iPad will use Wi-Fi, does that mean that Skype to Skype calls could be made on it as well? I guess the proper App must be installed.
Sorry if this sounds dumb. I'm fairly new to the Skype "thing".

OP
iDan

iDan

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hey no worries, that's what we are here for! Yes, skype should work with the iPod Touch. You will need to purchase headphones that include a built in mic like:

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Aluminum-Handsfree-Headphone-Earphone-Microphone/dp/B0032W1TPI/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1265393048&sr=8-3]Amazon.com: Premium Black 3.5mm Aluminum Handsfree Stereo Headset Headphone Earphone with Built-in Microphone Remote for Apple Ipod Touch Itouch 2nd 3rd gen Iphone 3g 3gs Zune Mp3 Player PDA: Electronics[/ame]

The iPad will have a built in mic but should also work with the same type of setup.

Most reactions

Latest posts