What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Simple question for the people here ?

henry2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Here is a Question for the people here ?..

Could you live with just a Dumb Cellphone and Ipad as your main Electronic device in one life and here is my reason behind the idea ..

Something that i have been wondering about getting rid of the desktop computer and just liveing with the Ipad and my cellphone in my basic electronic device ..

I'm not really because useing the desktop anymore other than the useing it for the Itune's syncing as it need and maybe shopping online when i get a website that is a flash type. I have download a few of the online shopping application's to the ipad and they worked great for my personal online shopping ..

With the new iOS5 comeing out in sept time frame that you no longer will be needing a computer to sync with the itune's

The ipad has done everything that i needed to do in the way of web browering and email and few other things i use the Ipad in my everyday useage of the ipad

singlestick

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Here is a Question for the people here ?..

Could you live with just a Dumb Cellphone and Ipad as your main Electronic device in one life and here is my reason behind the idea ..

Something that i have been wondering about getting rid of the desktop computer and just liveing with the Ipad and my cellphone in my basic electronic device ..

I'm not really because useing the desktop anymore other than the useing it for the Itune's syncing as it need and maybe shopping online when i get a website that is a flash type. I have download a few of the online shopping application's to the ipad and they worked great for my personal online shopping ..

With the new iOS5 comeing out in sept time frame that you no longer will be needing a computer to sync with the itune's

The ipad has done everything that i needed to do in the way of web browering and email and few other things i use the Ipad in my everyday useage of the ipad

Ultimately, it's about whatever works for you. And you make a good point when you suggest that iOS5 may change the way that people use various devices, or may change how they select existing and new devices.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well, that's almost what I do now (I have a TracFone cell phone and the iPad). The iPad is set up to get texts (Google Voice) and I can make phone calls (Talkatone or Whistle). I have a Zaggmate bluetooth keyboard, so I can type almost as rapidly as on a "regular" computer.

So, I can see how it might work with just those two. Actually, TBH, I don't even use my cell phone. But, that's because I never did, not because it fell out of use... :D

However, I still have a full power desk top with a big monitor. Other than iTunes/iPad maintenance, I use it for college. I've got a full Microsoft suite on it, so it's much easier to use that software on the desktop.

But, with school not in session right now, I hardly ever use the desktop and mainly just use the iPad. But, all I really do is surf the web, view RSS/twitter/Facebook feeds and read/compose some e-mail.

Short answer? Depends on what you do with the "big" machine. So, as singlestick said, it all comes down to what you do. As for me, I don't think I could ever give up the desktop ... just in case.

Marilyn

OP
henry2

henry2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
We have two other computer's in the house plus i can use my work outside computer network that have set up to do something if i need it .This area design for you to check your email or shop online or do a little bit of websurfing in the off hour's after work or weekends there at the base or use there Wifi to on the ipad to do those thing's ..

.You need a desktop or laptop because of the college but i never have gone beyond the basic use of a computer in the house because of the work i can not bring the laptop home from the computer lab and use it ..So the ipad has been doing all my basic so called web browseing and other things when i'm not at the house in LA area where i live

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've found that some Web sites just don't work well with iPads. They could be improved, but until or unless they are, they don't function. I've tried buying stuff from some that don't scroll properly or have popups that don't popup up in iPads, for instance. Some airline sites have such problems, for instance. On one, I don't remember which, you can't get the seat map to open, so you can't pick a seat from an iPad. On one goofy site, the list of states scrolled only through states starting with the letter G, lol.

For my uses, I couldn't get by without a laptop at home and a PC at work. I'm sure some people can, though, especially as cloud services gain traction. Personally, I prefer to control my own content, rather than trust cloud services, so I will continue to need a laptop or PC longer term. I use the cloud only for things when I don't care much about privacy or security.

Last edited:

JAILBIRD

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think it all comes down to personal needs. I need to have a PC at home so I can do designing in SolidWorks for my job. I think the real question is "Can you, the OP, live with just the iPad?"

Most reactions