What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SIM Card + WiFi

Luvntravln

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have searched and cannot find the answer I am looking for - isn't that always the case!

When you iPad has both an active SIM card so that you are automatically connected to the broadband network, and at the same time you are connected to a free WiFi network, does the iPad automatically choose the free WiFi network over the SIM network?

In my situation at home in Australia, my iPad has an active SIM card. Additionally, in my home I have a wireless router so that my laptops and my iPad all share the same wireless broadband connection.

Obviously, when I am home I want the iPad to use the WiFi router connection and not the SIM.

Does that happen automatically or do I have to do something?

The same question would pertain if I were out and about working on the internet through my SIM card and went into an internet cafe offering free WiFi which I link to automatically.

Do I have to disable the SIM card or does that happen automatically?

Thanks,

Wakawaka

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Smart move would to have it automatically turn off 3G and use wifi. But not all companies use their brains..

I have not tried it, but I assume so. Ive heard it does everything on it's own. But I'm in the habit of turning it off manually

checkyoulater

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes it does.

It is supposed to chose the fastest available connection. So if you try to connect and it detects an available wi-fi network it will ask you if you want to connect to that wifi network

King Hal

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes, unless it's a slow or poor wifi connection, it will automatically choose the wifi. So at home you've no need to worry. Out and about keep an eye on the top left hand corner.

Prasius

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think even when faced with a slower than 3G connection it will pick the wifi...

But yes, it automatically sorts itself out. I used to turn off the 3G when I wasn't using it, but it didn't seem to make any difference to battery life so stopped doing it. If you live in an area with very poor 3G coverage it might chew through your battery trying to get onto the network though (much the same as phones can...)

Most reactions