What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Shutting down mail notifications

Jbahr

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am trying to turn off my notifications for new mail on my ipad mini. Nothing is working. What is worse is that it is playing a song that I don't have selected for any other notification. Any help would be appreciated.

JewelGarden

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Jbahr said:
I am trying to turn off my notifications for new mail on my ipad mini. Nothing is working. What is worse is that it is playing a song that I don't have selected for any other notification. Any help would be appreciated.

Hi Jbahr and welcome to iPF!

Give this a try and let us know if it works for you.

1. Go to Settings --> Notifications
2. Find Mail and tap on it.
3. Select the account you are trying to manage and you will see a number of options. Look for "new mail sound" and tap on it. At the very top of the list is "None."

Let us know if you need more help.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I hadn't realized you can set separate sounds and notifications for each account. Nice.

The other place to look for Mail sounds is under Settings > Sounds; where you can choose the default new and sent sounds for Mail. I assume that the individual settings Jewel garden pointed out will override these. At least I hope so (and will test shortly). I generally don't want noisy mail notifications, but there is one rarely used account where it could be important.

Wolfpuppies3

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a half dozen mail accounts on my iDevices and each announces incoming in a different fashion or not at all. Experiment with your settings.

HardMetalAlchemy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You can also go to mails, contacts, calendars > fetch new data > manually. This turns off any notification of new mail including the tune played.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
You can also go to mails, contacts, calendars > fetch new data > manually. This turns off any notification of new mail including the tune played.

It doesn't actually turn off the notifications. It's just that it's not getting any mail for you to be notified about; not until you open the app. But I admit, the effect is similar.

The main difference is that if you get caught without an internet connection you won't know if you have any email, even if you open the app.

Most reactions