What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Should i use screen protector for ipad?

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use a matte anti-glare protector because it does vastly reduce the glare and reflections when I use it outdoors: think of the difference between an old-style CRT glass computer monitor vs a modern flatscreen LCD screen. As a side-effect benefit, the material of the matte screen is also oil- and fingerprint-repellent, which virtually eliminates smudges, so the screen always looks pristine.

Hotherps

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I managed to get a replacement iPad2 after finding a scratch on the screen... the otterbox defender case arrived on Monday so as soon as I got the new iPad2 home I put the screen protector on.

This was my first ever attempt at fitting a screen protector so I have ended up with a couple of small bubbles, but to be honest I'm not worried about them.

I'm not sure who makes the otterbox version, but it is clear enough and the feel seems prettty much the same as with the bare glass screen. I might get another screen protector and have another go at fitting it..... taking my time ;)

As regards, the Defender case, I will write a review later....

littlebuddha

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Putting a screen protector on can be a pain with bubbles or bits of fine lint. they can cost a fortune to, although i have got a pound shop one on my ipad and ipod and there fine, but i am in thoughs to just leave them of. The glass is ment to stand up to a lot, and its funny that Apple no longer produce screen protection. I think its more of that your told you need this to protect it and we believe it more than not.
Bit like throw away food with sale buy date. A case to protect it from dropping yer, screen protection, im not so sure.

Hotherps

iPF Noob
Reaction score
One thing I noticed when I called into the Apple reseller last Saturday was that they are selling screen protectors..... so maybe they have a more realistic opinion of the durability of the screen..... or they want to make more money selling accessories?

Either way, I don't want to take the risk of not having the screen protected.

(I'd never dream of leaving lens caps off my expensive Nikon camera lenses or rifle scopes.)

About the only thing I have total faith in is the lens of my Sinn U2 dive watch. I have worn this everyday and there still aren't any visible scratches and that thing has travelled the world to some extreme places..... it is a £2,000 watch though.

littlebuddha

iPF Noob
Reaction score
One thing I noticed when I called into the Apple reseller last Saturday was that they are selling screen protectors..... so maybe they have a more realistic opinion of the durability of the screen..... or they want to make more money selling accessories?

Either way, I don't want to take the risk of not having the screen protected.

(I'd never dream of leaving lens caps off my expensive Nikon camera lenses or rifle scopes.)

About the only thing I have total faith in is the lens of my Sinn U2 dive watch. I have worn this everyday and there still aren't any visible scratches and that thing has travelled the world to some extreme places..... it is a £2,000 watch though.

Your rifle scope and camera lens are not meant to have fingers over them, thats why we put caps on or filters over the lens even. And an apple reseller will sell lots of stuff, but apple themself do not make or produce them anymore. They say the glass will stand some, so why would they make protective film for the ipad. At the end of the day its how you all feel about it yourself, myself id like to leave it of, ha but still have one on, maybe when its worn out whatever ill not bother with a new one.

Nancybout

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I spilled coffee on my screen,so who knows what liquid would've done to the touch screen,it's a touch screen you break that lol bye bye iPad lol

pluto6

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I spilled coffee on my screen,so who knows what liquid would've done to the touch screen,it's a touch screen you break that lol bye bye iPad lol

Liquid is a hazard only if it gets inside to the electronics... A screen protector won't do anything to protect against that.

It is funny that screen protection has migrated from the days of the Palms, and tablets, that used to use plastic screens, which would (and did) scratch easily, to hardened glass that is extremely scratch resistant (like sapphire watch crystals).

The glass that they use with these things is very tough... Sure it can get scratched, but not with normal use... If you are carrying it around in a pack with metal objects, and such - it could get scratched, but with minimal care, it will do fine. My iphone 4 has no protector, and I have no scratches, and I keep it in my pocket - slide it around on my desk at work, etc.. no special treatment, and its pristine when I clean it. Oh, and treated it that way for over a year now. My son has my old 3 Gs (2 years old) and he is a teenager, and so you KNOW he does not take of it, and the outside plastic case is all beat up, the glass is pristine with no scratches.

I do use a matte anti glare on the iPad, because I actually like the tactile touch feedback I get, and i like not having reflections in the glass. But, I don't use it for screen protection. But, like everything designed to "protect" there will always be those that insist something was saved from an accident...

I like the saying above about the fishing accessories - although I admit I have fallen to that as well, I guess much comes due to fear of having to pay something now to prevent a more expensive payment to replace later on... But like the product warranties that many of us pay for - the vast majority never need to use them, and that is why companies push them - they are VERY profitable... I guess screen protectors are too.... :p

bobbcat

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I do use a matte anti glare on the iPad, because I actually like the tactile touch feedback I get, and i like not having reflections in the glass.
Which brand do you use? Do you note any "pixelating" of the screen's images & fonts?

iFrog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Most people say that is not necessary, maybe not because the glass is hard to scratch. However we invest a lot of money on this toys and whats a little more to ensure that you never have screen scratch :)

info

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I used to use screen protectors on my old Palm and Handspring devices, but over time concluded that they are not really necessary. Of course, that's just an impression. Personally, I wouldn't think of putting one on my iPad. The following comment made earlier in this thread sums it up fairly accurately IMHO.

Hasty said:
...Unless you do heavy manual labour you shouldn't need a screen cover as long as it's covered when not in use. Damage is only likely from grit particles or a sharp object dragged over the screen.

iPad accessories are like fishing equipment, some is made to catch fish and some to catch fishermen.

Last edited:

sky2011

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Guys, I prefer it without protector as I use stylus pen with my iPad works smooth and great , If that is important then why Apple brings their Device without it,

Using condoms never give you the natural feeling of a thingy, lool

pluto6

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I do use a matte anti glare on the iPad, because I actually like the tactile touch feedback I get, and i like not having reflections in the glass.
Which brand do you use? Do you note any "pixelating" of the screen's images & fonts?

I use a CCM which is an inexpensive brand. I don't note pixelating, but I also do not use small fonts, I can't see as well as I used to. If I was going to get one, I would get Power Support. Zagg have not impressed me, my son had one and it peeled off within a couple months. They never honored their warranty to replace it.

bobbcat

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks, pluto6. If I were going to go for a screen protector, it would be for the purpose of having the anti-glare feature. I note the one by Power Support claims it enhances the clarity of the screen....

thegreatone3

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think it depends on your situation. If you have kids who will be using it, it's probably a good idea. I don't, and I also have a folder-style case so my screen is always protected when not in use. So I've been naked for a year with no dings or scratches whatsoever.

Sent from my iPhone using iPF

Most reactions