What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Should I Update To IOS 7.0.4 Or Wait?

acostapimps

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm currently on 5.1 but I would like to install apps which is only for 6 or later, But I don't mind waiting till they work the kinks out, Is there anything I should be aware of if I do decide to update besides the new iOS design? (Apps,IOS Control,Battery Life,Wifi Connectivity,Safari).

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Millions have installed iOS 7 without issue in saying that a few have problems. At the end of the day it is your choice. The issue you have is the iPad 2 is second generation and may not be capable of running the new apps designed for the later iPads. Personally I would consider upgrading the iPad then all apps would be compatible

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I'm currently on 5.1 but I would like to install apps which is only for 6 or later, But I don't mind waiting till they work the kinks out, Is there anything I should be aware of if I do decide to update besides the new iOS design? (Apps,IOS Control,Battery Life,Wifi Connectivity,Safari).

Well, I have had iOS 7.0.4 on my iPad 2 for a while and not having any problems (some features will not work w/ the older device but not really important to me). As you can see from the pie chart attached (PC Mag article, Dec 2013), you're falling behind - I would suspect by now over 70% of iPad users are on the newest iOS (even more for the iPhone) - if you need or want apps that only run on iDevices w/ iOS above 5.x, then it's time to upgrade. Dave

Screen Shot 2013-12-21 at 3.14.21 PM.png

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I find it amazing that people hold back on updates for their devices. I always update -- immediately. There will come a day when an update to an OS on a given device will not be allowed....then people will complain about that too.

Last edited:

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
That is exactly my thoughts I really doubt that iOS 8 when it is released late next year will run on iPad 2. Regarding so called problems unfortunately many users sometimes read too many press columns many whom repeat small problems just to get users to read their magazines or on line blogs etc. out of all the IT companies Apple seems to take a beating in this area. As girdman stated 7.04 works fine on iPad 2 however some features are missing. Based on the fact you have 5 running if you do upgrade then backup the iPad and restore the iPad 2 to factory state on your computer which will then upgrade it to 7.04. Only you can make that decision to do this

I would also down load iOS 7 manual from iBooks so you can read up on the changes. Hope that helps.

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Depending on what iOS 8 is pushing out and introducing to the table, I'd say that we can't rule out the iPad 2 just yet as if they make the iPad 2 a legacy device, they'll have to do the same for the iPad Mini, which just turned a year old not too long ago.

Assuming the introduction of iOS 8 is like that of iOS 6 with respect to iOS 5 in that there's not much aside from a slight API difference, I'd say the iPad 2 and the Mini would still have another year or two of support before it's considered for legacy status.

iOS 7, as Col has already stated, has it's share of issues just like all the iOS in history. Whether to upgrade or not is entirely up to you. See if you can fiddle around with someone else's iOS device on iOS 7 to see if you like what you see before restoring, or you can head to an Apple Store and try it out. You can ask for a staff member to give you a walk through on iOS 7, and they can show you the comparison between the new and old iOS.

Sent from my iPhone via Tapa

Most reactions

Latest posts