What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Should I give up my search?

hollowplague

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have been trying days on getting the ipad2 from apple but no such luck. I know the wait time for online will take forever but I fear it will only be extended as sales are starting in the UK. Do you think the apple stores in the US will get more despite the lack of units for sale online?

JF7FSU

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't see it getting any better at all. If they had them, they would be selling/shipping them while it is so hot.

Tarkio

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Don't give up now if you want one in the near future. Analysts from Piper Jaffray are saying that many needed parts specific to the iPad 2 are sourced from Japan. 2 primary suppliers, Toshiba and Mitsubishi Chemical, are currently shut down with the possibility of components being delayed until the end of June.

With the huge demand for new iPads even before the international launch, there may be major shortages ahead. I would buy one anywhere I could find it at this point.

This is all educated speculation of course.

KarlaMonique

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was just at the Apple store exchanging my iPad 2 for another one and they said the stores are receiving shipment everyday. My "home key" stopped working. They said they sell out right after they open so I suggest you get there before the store opens. Good luck!

Wolfpuppies3

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No search at all, just order it

from Apple.com. Of course there is a waiting period everywhere right now for those who did not jump on March 11. Just order it and take a deep breath. It will arrive as advertised.

biobunny

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Patience, will pay trust me. Wait for the shops to restock and then buy is what I recommend.

JasonFJ40

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I gave up my search and ordered one online 2 days ago under the advertised 4 - 5 week prison...errr....shipping time. :) I found that I was spending WAY too much time calling Apple/Best Buy/Walmart and figured it would be easier to just be patient.

If you keep searching, I wish you the best of luck and hope you find one soon!

mynameiserich

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Going on a search tomorrow. Heard apple stores now have a small stock every day and will open an hour early to sell them. My local store said to get there hours early in line and if they have them in stock (are not allowed to say), then there will be a good chance I will get one. I am on a mission. I work til 1 am, will sleep by 2, and be out the door by 4 in search of an iPad 2. 3 more weeks until shipment and a week for delivery is just not happening.

HKWrite12

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I ordered on launch morning n missed the primary shipments. Waiting, alleged 3/22 shipdate then 3/31 so now I'm not holding my breath. I just check the site n my bank acct to make sure I don't get charged twice or bs'd out of my order. I can't bear going to stores n bn rejected. I rather know that I'm one of the million waiting by the door.

JCat

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, we're a two ipad household. We sold our two ipads weeks ago to purchase the ipad 2. At launch, I went to Best Buy figuring I may actually have a better shot. I was number 26 in line... so all was good. Had a credit card ready for mine, and cash for my partner who was not present but can't stand up anyway, due foot problems from being diabetic. When sales began, we got a warning that they were only selling one per customer. I was disappointed, because if I knew that earlier, I would have waited much longer at one of the NY Apple Stores. Well, I was number 26 so I was able to get my iPad 2.

Since launch day, I have been trying to get one for my partner, to no avail. Went to the Apple store 4 times in a row, early in the morning, waited in line, and they couldn't accommodate even 1/4 of the crowd. After day four, I gave up, so then my partner decided to try it out the two days which followed, this time before sunrise and lugged a metal folding chair, by bus.. and still no luck. Why? Because the first hundred+ people were being paid by a huge gray market ring that I'm sure everyone's been reading about. So, if you want an iPad 2 and you live in New York City, you'll need to get to one of four Apple stores like 1:AM for an eight hour wait. The gray market 'workers' are buying up all the iPad 2s - for the Queen Ant(s). Apple really can't do anything to stop that - because what they're doing is not illegal - they're just trying to make a buck. Now, I'm sure Apple is aware there are people on these lines who actually want to own one. They can get all this lovely tech into a slimmer body without sacrificing battery life, yet they can't accommodate a good deal of their real audience who want to purchase one at their store. Start by limiting it to one per person.

Kingv84

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Reasons why I prefer buying online and wait. Both my iPads were shipped from apple and should arrive to me soon. No stress waiting in lines and no staring at the stupid grey market slave workers.

yvrgal

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Apple is delaying the launch of iPad 2 in Japan because of the earthquake. Rumor is they will be spreading Japan's inventory in the US and some countries having a launch date on the 25th so don't despair.

Just order it online and you'll be surprised as it might be sooner than 6 weeks before you can get your iPad 2.

Good luck.

Tarkio

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Reasons why I prefer buying online and wait. Both my iPads were shipped from apple and should arrive to me soon. No stress waiting in lines and no staring at the stupid grey market slave workers.

Stress? Gray market slave workers?? Do you shop at the at the Apple Store in Somalia??

The 2 pleasant hours I spent getting the upad2, with no stress or slaves in sight, was less waisted time than many here have spent posting, searching, and complaining about not having one.

But keep spreading the misinformation so the lines will be shorter when I buy the ipad3! :)

Amok

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes, stress. Of course I'm to blame for not jumping on the iPad2 online ordering right away. 4-5 weeks is my listed wait, but who knows really.

I've tried at the local stores (by the way, best buy now takes $100 up front and may be able to get you something "in a few weeks"...uh, no thanks). The last Apple Store blue-shirter I spoke with kinda giggled and said I should try lining up each morning. Hmmm, real people go to work to afford Apple toys, dude.

That brings us to the frustration that Apple has enabled, condoned, and continues to feed a gray market for this 'status symbol' device -- well beyond the interested and dedicated Apple user base. Whereas I wait 4-5 (yeah right) weeks, the gray marketeers gobble em up and spit em out.

Some thoughts:

1. How's about Apple "freeze" deliveries to the stores and fulfill the backorders of their loyal fans that will actually use the product? That would be a nice gesture.

2. I guess I could cancel my order and get one of those Xoom things when the WiFi version pops out. I can "probably" get it to do what an iPad2 will be doing for me. Is that punishing just me though?

3. How about giving iPad3 "pre-order privileges" to the folks that bought online and are waiting 4-5 (yeah right) weeks?

In summary, I'll likely just grin and bear it. Those folks that have time on their hands to stand in line every day, are willing to "pay gray premium", or are just plain lucky to grab one -- congrats i guess.

I loved when Apple was the underdog and cared about their loyal users. When the game is market share dominance instead of fan loyalty, oh well. Get more niche, Apple, and we'll still be here...well, at least for 4-5 (yeah right) weeks.

Most reactions

Latest posts