What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sharing between ipad 2 and ipad mini

foothillfanatic

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I currently have an ipad 2 and would like to get an ipad mini for greater portability, trips, etc... My question is, would I be able to read the same books I have downloaded to the ipad 2 on the mini? I have purchased most thru Amazon and use the Kindle reader app on the ipad. Also I am assuming I would be able to use all the apps I have purchased thru the iTunes Store on both devices using my apple account. Thanks.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Apps, definitely. Books, I'm not sure, but probably. I'm pretty sure all purchases are keyed to an AppleID, not a particular device.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I currently have an ipad 2 and would like to get an ipad mini for greater portability, trips, etc... My question is, would I be able to read the same books I have downloaded to the ipad 2 on the mini? I have purchased most thru Amazon and use the Kindle reader app on the ipad. Also I am assuming I would be able to use all the apps I have purchased thru the iTunes Store on both devices using my apple account. Thanks.

The iPad mini works exactly the same as the iPad 2. All your apps will work on the iPad mini. If you make a backup of your iPad 2, you can set up the iPad mini from that backup. This will transfer everything that was on the iPad 2 to the iPad mini.

OP
foothillfanatic

foothillfanatic

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The iPad mini works exactly the same as the iPad 2. All your apps will work on the iPad mini. If you make a backup of your iPad 2, you can set up the iPad mini from that backup. This will transfer everything that was on the iPad 2 to the iPad mini.

So, would I connect my ipad 2 to my pc then on iTunes right click on the device(ipad) and select "Backup"? After doing this would I then connect my ipad mini to the pc, go to iTunes, right click on the device and select "Restore"? Thanks.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
So, would I connect my ipad 2 to my pc then on iTunes right click on the device(ipad) and select "Backup"? After doing this would I then connect my ipad mini to the pc, go to iTunes, right click on the device and select "Restore"? Thanks.

Yes. You'll be asked if you want to set up as a new iPad or from the backup.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

That's right. During the set up procedure, you'll be offered the choice of setting up the iPad mini as a new iPad or from the backup you made. If you have more than one backup in iTunes, you can choose which one to use. Select the iPad 2 backup. Depending how much was on your iPad 2, downloading the backup to the iPad mini could take several hours.

OP
foothillfanatic

foothillfanatic

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Think I have it. Thanks.

When I did the backup I could not find my Kindle books as having been backed up to iTunes on my pc. I now assume that in order to read my Kindle books from another device I would have to sync that device to my Amazon account thru the Kindle app on that device.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Think I have it. Thanks.

When I did the backup I could not find my Kindle books as having been backed up to iTunes on my pc. I now assume that in order to read my Kindle books from another device I would have to sync that device to my Amazon account thru the Kindle app on that device.

Open your Kindle app and sync with your Kindle account on Amazon. You can then download all your books.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
FYI: Each book's publisher decides how many licenses each ebook purchase comes with. Generally, they come with at least three to five licenses, in my experience. That means you can download a particular Kindle ebook onto three to five devices, no matter what kind of device, on whatever platforms Kindle supports, as long as you use the same account. Once you reach the maximum number of licenses, you have to either buy a new copy if you want to download the ebook yet again, or you can talk to Amazon and see whether they'll reset your licenses. Audiobooks from Amazon and Audible (which Amazon owns) work similarly.

So far, I've had Amazon reset an ebook or two, and they've obliged, but I don't know what they'd do if I suddenly needed my entire library reset. Audible also has obliged me when I've hit the max number of copies for particular audiobooks.

For some people, this might take longer to become a problem, if they don't own many devices and/or they go many years without upgrading devices. But longer term, we'll all presumably encounter license limits on ebooks (and audiobooks) unless we don't care to access them over the years. For people who don't reread books, it's not a prob.

zstairlessone

iPF Novice
Reaction score
From my limited experience (iPhone and iPad - not iPad and mini) your bookmark (where you left off) synchs in iBooks from device to device if you synch books. I understand Kindle app will do the same from iDevices, Macs and a Kindle if you own one.

OP
foothillfanatic

foothillfanatic

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks again to all who responded to my questions. This forum is the best one-stop resource for any iPad issue.

Most reactions

Latest posts