What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Share router with Ipad

billybobtoo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Newbie here. I will be relocationg in 6 months to a new state. I will be sharing space with a brother who has a pc, and a router, for his laptop. he also has a regular pc computer connected via cable. I will be there 3 months. Then I will move into my own space.
I own a mini mac, 10.4 version. it's 7 years old. Love it. But it is time for me to upgrade.
My question is, if I buy an Ipad, can I use it in my brother's house , using my brother's router(that he uses for his pc?).
Or do I need to get another wi-fi router specific to my Ipad?
Also, I have heard that Ipad needs a later version than my 10.4. Is this correct?
I probably couldn't use my old mini mac with my Ipad, assuming I purchase one. (Do I even need a mini mac to use an Ipad?)

I'm trying to avoid buying both a new mini mac, and a new Ipad at the same time.

It probably makes more sense to just buy a new mini mac, leopard or tiger version...then just wait a few months and purchase an Ipad.

Any help would be appreciated. Bill

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
billybobtoo said:
Newbie here. I will be relocationg in 6 months to a new state. I will be sharing space with a brother who has a pc, and a router, for his laptop. he also has a regular pc computer connected via cable. I will be there 3 months. Then I will move into my own space.
I own a mini mac, 10.4 version. it's 7 years old. Love it. But it is time for me to upgrade.
My question is, if I buy an Ipad, can I use it in my brother's house , using my brother's router(that he uses for his pc?).
Also, I have heard that Ipad needs a later version than my 10.4. Is this correct?
I probably couldn't use my old mini mac with my Ipad, assuming I purchase one. (Do I even need a mini mac to use an Ipad?)

I'm trying to avoid buying both a new mini mac, and a new Ipad at the same time.

It probably makes more sense to just buy a new mini mac, leopard or tiger version...then just wait a few months and purchase an Ipad.

You'll need a computer to sync the iPad with iTunes, I don't think you can use Tiger, you'll need to upgrade to Snow Leopard, which is both cheap and painless at the moment....I know, I have recently done it. Or if your brother will let you, set up a new user account for yourself on his PC, download the latest iTunes, sync and off you go!

No special router needed, you can use your brothers router for wifi.

I loved my old mini, what a great little mac!

The Archangel

madhatter61

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Older Mac Mini, wanting iPad2

You might want to look into the MacBook AIR @ $999. Tis lightweight, 128GB SSD storage, full keyboard, USB 2.0. Look up the rest of the specs. But the issue is it comes with Snow Leopard. It is not a touch screen, but will definitely replace your Mac Mini. The only issue is no optical drive ... no CD or DVD. But is wireless. Battery life is quite long. Check it out.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
madhatter61 said:
You might want to look into the MacBook AIR @ $999. Tis lightweight, 128GB SSD storage, full keyboard, USB 2.0. Look up the rest of the specs. But the issue is it comes with Snow Leopard. It is not a touch screen, but will definitely replace your Mac Mini. The only issue is no optical drive ... no CD or DVD. But is wireless. Battery life is quite long. Check it out.

The optional optical drive, which is only slightly larger than a CD case is quite cheap (in the UK at least) and will fit in your pocket.

The Archangel

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Another happy mini user here.
Several things come to mind.
If you buy an iPad from an apple store they will initialise it for you and ensure you have the latest version of iOS.
Three months without syncing with iTunes is doable, but if you're lucky your brother will probably let you use itunes on his machine. The appstore remembers what you've bought and will let you redownload apps for free if necessary.
Connect your mini to his network and you could use vpn and streaming from it to an iPad while reclining in bed :)

The air is a lovely machine but may be over your budget. Also have a look at refurbished minis as they are coming down in price.

OP
B

billybobtoo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks Hasty

I can live without I-Tunes for 3 months, easily. I have all I need on my IPod.
Eventually I will get it when I'm in my own space.
So I can go to Apple store, and buy an Ipad(wifi), and they will set it up for me to where when I leave the store, it will be a functioning Ipad? Incredible.
Do I have to carry my mini to the Apple store with me, for them to do this??
And it will still work when I move from Florida to New York?
If this is the case, then I don't have to buy a new mini (I eventually will, when I am in my own space).
It's the awkward 3 months time frame, when I'm living with my Brother in his house which was making me not sure of what path to take. He will have no problem sharing his equipment, by the way.

Dumb question. Is the router built into my wifi Ipad? or will I still need to be in a free wifi zone to use my Ipad?

Thanks again.... Still learning here.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
billybobtoo said:
I can live without I-Tunes for 3 months, easily. I have all I need on my IPod.
Eventually I will get it when I'm in my own space.
So I can go to Apple store, and buy an Ipad(wifi), and they will set it up for me to where when I leave the store, it will be a functioning Ipad? Incredible.
Do I have to carry my mini to the Apple store with me, for them to do this??
And it will still work when I move from Florida to New York?
If this is the case, then I don't have to buy a new mini (I eventually will, when I am in my own space).
It's the awkward 3 months time frame, when I'm living with my Brother in his house which was making me not sure of what path to take. He will have no problem sharing his equipment, by the way.

Dumb question. Is the router built into my wifi Ipad? or will I still need to be in a free wifi zone to use my Ipad?

Thanks again.... Still learning here.

When you leave the Apple Store it will be as fully functioning as anyone else's iPad.

No need to take minimac into Apple store, you'll just need your wallet.

It will work wherever you are in the world.

You won't be without iTunes for three months as you will have it on your iPad, what you won't have is the ability to sync it with iTunes on your own computer for those three months.

Oh, and there is no router built into the iPad. Your iPad sends and receives information by wifi but a router is something different. To use the wifi you need to be somewhere where there is either a free wifi service or within reach of your own (or your brothers) wifi router. The Apple Geniuses will explain all, if you ask them, when you buy your iPad.

The Archangel

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
When i first got my iPad I was very dutiful about syncing it to iTunes regularly, but now I very rarely do. The reason is that anything important on my iPad is synced wirelessly with my other machines via Evernote and Dropbox.
Three months without syncing isn't important unless there's a new iOS release when an iTunes sync would be needed. But even then an iOs update is not mandatory.

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You will not only be able to use your brother's wifi but places like the library, fast food places (most McDonald's and Subways have free wifi as well as coffee houses, ABC, etc), Barnes and Noble and many many more. I carry my Ipad with me all the time and am sometimes surprised where I find free wifi--like my local Home Depot and grocery store, car dealer's waiting area, doctors' offices. You'll be fine.

Last edited:
OP
B

billybobtoo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hmmmnn?

You will not only be able to use your brother's wifi but places like the library, fast food places (most McDonald's and Subways have free wifi as well as coffee houses, ABC, etc), Barnes and Noble and many many more. I carry my Ipad with me all the time and am sometimes surprised where I find free wifi--like my local and grocery store, car dealer's waiting area, doctors' offices. You'll be fine.

Thanks Diane... But if I wanted to just go to the nearby park and take my Ipad, it probably wouldn't work. I think I was under the impression it worked everywhere, like a cellphone does. Duh.

But it would work if say, I rented a beachhouse, cause then I could buy a router and use it in conjunction with the router in the beachhouse.

Also, how far my brother's router can I be and still pick up the wifi?
Maybe I could be on the porch outside the house and still use it.

Thanks....Bill

cherhall

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It will work everywhere, if you buy a Verizon or AT&T 3G model, and pay for a data plan. They are $130 more than their wifi counterparts, plus the cost of the data plan.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You will not only be able to use your brother's wifi but places like the library, fast food places (most McDonald's and Subways have free wifi as well as coffee houses, ABC, etc), Barnes and Noble and many many more. I carry my Ipad with me all the time and am sometimes surprised where I find free wifi--like my local and grocery store, car dealer's waiting area, doctors' offices. You'll be fine.

Thanks Diane... But if I wanted to just go to the nearby park and take my Ipad, it probably wouldn't work. I think I was under the impression it worked everywhere, like a cellphone does. Duh.

But it would work if say, I rented a beachhouse, cause then I could buy a router and use it in conjunction with the router in the beachhouse.

Also, how far my brother's router can I be and still pick up the wifi?
Maybe I could be on the porch outside the house and still use it.

Thanks....Bill

It depends on the terrain and/or obstructions. Typically 100 yards/metres in favourable conditions....I sometimes sit on my patio and use the iPad there, though that’s a rare occurrence in Scotland..... :)

Tim
Scotland

Most reactions

Latest posts