What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Setup of "new iPad", multiple iPads & iCloud questions

bbmountain

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My "new iPad" is on its way and I'm trying to wrap my head around how to set it up before it arrives!
I have an original iPad so this will make my second one. Ideally I would like to set up the new iPad exactly like I have the original iPad so that all settings, bookmarks, username/passwords etc. are all set up. Can a restore be done with a new iPad from another iPad's backup file? If yes...do the iPads have to be named the same or can they be different? After the initial setup I think the 2 iPads will eventually have different apps (some apps on the new iPad won't work on the original iPad.) From what I've read on these forums I think I can backup each iPad to iTunes so that each will have its own backup file. Do the iPads need to be named differently to do this?
iCloud now gives me 5 G of backup for my original iPad. Is this the total amount allotted to my iTunes account for backup or does each iPad receive its own 5 G? And does iPad name affect how iCloud storage is allotted or not?
Thanks for any advice!

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes, restore as old iPad if you want the content to duplicate. Then immediately rename the new one. Once you do that, iTunes will automatically recognize each separately when you back up in future. You'll need to enter passwords again, generally.

MikeGiannamore

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the same question but after I set up my new one I want to keep my I pad the same and change he name on my old and give it tomy wife to use on her computer. Is this possible without loosing any of the apps, emails etc.
Mike

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yes. Give it to your wife and create a new iCloud account. Keep the same iTunes account so you can share apps and music, but create a new iCloud account so you can track it with find my phone, send iMessages etc.

MikeGiannamore

iPF Noob
Reaction score
thewitt said:
Yes. Give it to your wife and create a new iCloud account. Keep the same iTunes account so you can share apps and music, but create a new iCloud account so you can track it with find my phone, send iMessages etc.

Thank you much. Can she personalize it with a different I pad name?

Semel

iPF Novice
Reaction score
MikeGiannamore said:
Thank you much. Can she personalize it with a different I pad name?

The name of the ipad is changed in itunes on the left side.just click on the ipad thats connected and change the name.

Last edited:

dpcardoza

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Me and my wife are confused as all get out. We have one computer, 2 iPads and an iPhone. Currently we have all our data stored on one computer. Neither of us have set up a mobile me address (that I'm aware of). Currently there is a lot of confusion over what account to use on itunes. I use mine and she uses her's but its creating a lot of confusion when backing up data to the cloud. Would each of us creating a .me account for the cloud (mostly music, apps, pics) and then committing to one itunes account help. The way we currently are doing it creates problems because you have to put in a itunes account for the device at setup but that may not be the itunes account we are using in the cloud. Confused, I am. Thanks for the help if you can make sense of what i'm saying.
Darren

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The best way to use two Apple IDs on one computer is to set up two user logins on the computer. iTunes will maintain a separate library for each user on the computer. When you want to sync that iPad, log into the computer with the associated user first.

The first time you sync an iPad to a new iTunes library it will ask you if you want to erase the iPad. Say no. Instead right click on the iPad under the Devices list in iTunes and choose Transfer Purchases. You'll also want to go to the Store menu in iTunes and Authorize that computer.

Your iCloud account can either be associated with your Apple ID, or not. It all depends on how you set it up when you activate it. It may include a new email address, or not. Again, depending on how you set it up. It is pretty straight forward. When you set up the iCloud ID it will ask if you for an Apple ID, or to create a new account. The first one will use your current Apple ID and it's email (if your ID is an email), and set up using that. A new email address is optional. The second you create from scratch, and will create a new .me email address.

MobileMe is no more. At least as far as creating new accounts. The remainder of the service will go offline the end of this June. It is all iCloud now, though the @me.com email addresses remain the same.

If you remain completely confused, check your area for an Apple store. Make a Genius appointment and they can walk you through it at the store.

Hope that helped.

Last edited:

dpcardoza

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Makes more sense now. Will the second user have access to all the music I've ripped from my CD's? Or only purchased music. Right now we are only using one log on to the computer so this all makes sense now.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Well, that's the downside of separate iTunes libraries. You would have to copy those files to the new library for them to sync with that iPad.

The usual solution for a family that wants to share content across iOS devices is to use the same Apple ID (iTunes account) for all members. Then you can share everything easily, but still customize what gets synced to each iPad. You can still have separate iCloud accounts to keep the other stuff like contacts, calendars, reminders, etc. separate (or partially shared).

Having two iTunes accounts however complicates things. Once everything is mixed up in one library it becomes difficult to keep who bought what separated. iTunes will happily sync anything in it to any iOS device. The result is you get app purchased on both accounts on both devices. This is not a bad thing in every way, but it does complicate keeping things updated.

And I can't really help much with the practical side of managing two Apple ID accounts. I know what should happen, but since I don't deal with the issue myself I don't know any of the tricks that would make it easier or less confusing.

That is why I generally recommend one of two things. Completely separate iTunes libraries for multiple accounts, or just one iTunes account for multiple users.

Perhaps someone else with a similar situation to your's will chime in with better advice.

OP
bbmountain

bbmountain

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't think that I understand the iCloud part yet. When I set up the new iPad for iCloud it would be nice to have my current iCloud calendar, contacts etc. on the new iPad. But because I will eventually have different apps on the 2 iPads I would like to backup each one separately. Is this possible? And if I can backup both to the same iCloud account will my free iCloud storage amount of 5G increase to 10G because of having 2 devices or will both share the 5G?

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
We have one Apple account for two Ipads, a Touch and Nano and Friday yet another Ipad. I set up a different Apple ID for my husband which means our Photostreams don't merge, we have separate Icloud backups, we can Imessage separately and even between the two of us if we want.

I don't have a great handle on Icloud either LOL and haven't bought more space as it will take the $50 to backup mine entirely. I'm debating since I'm still not comfortable with understanding if (even if I choose all my apps and content in the area where you manage storage) I have an issue that I can restore my Ipad totally from that Icloud backup. I'm using Dropbox to backup content from a number of apps that are integrated with it but if I was confident of Icloud (and I'm on a PC without Outlook so can't manage it from there) I'd totally backup to it and use Dropbox for moving things around from device to device as I do now.

Edit: I'm going to backup my Ipad 1 Thursday evening and 'restore' my Ipad 3 from it on Friday. Twerppoet was helpful with some links earlier about how to move to an upgraded device. I'm planning on keeping my Ipad 1 but use it to generally replace my Touch for music, both my ripped and Rhapsody and Rhapsody downloads for offline listening, I won't set it up that eay though until I'm confident that Ipad 3 is set up correctly.

A bit more. I'm still not sure if the backup will backup photos in the Photo app. I read on the Apple support page that the backup won't backup media and they listed books, movies, etc but photos weren't mentioned so hoping photos will appear on new Ipad as they are on Ipad 1. Just in case I'm using Photo Managerr Pro app which has its own backup "in case" I guess.
Diane

Last edited:

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'd be interested in more iCloud details, too. I manage eight iDevices on one iTunes account, but my husband barely uses his idevices, so I'm using one iCloud account only because he has nothing to back up. I've just switched to backing up to the cloud, and I haven't tried restoring from it.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Your iCloud accounts can be separate or the same as your iTunes account. It all depends on how you activate it. It asks whether you want to use an Apple ID or make a new account. That is the key.

Here are all the links I've saved up for iCloud (so far). As a novel they fall a bit flat, but will probably answer most of your questions.

iCloud Overview
Apple - iCloud - Your content. On all your devices.

iCloud Support Site
Apple - Support - iCloud

Apple IDs and iCloud
Apple IDs and iCloud

Troubleshooting iCloud Bookmarks
iCloud: Troubleshooting iCloud Bookmarks

iCloud: Backup and restore overview
iCloud: Backup and restore overview

How to setup iCloud
Apple - iCloud - Learn how to set up iCloud on all your devices.

iTunes Match: How it works
Apple - iTunes - Match

Photo Stream FAQ
iCloud: Photo Stream FAQ

Most reactions