What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Setting Up New iPad

5er driver

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would like my new iPad to have all the settings, mail accounts, apps, etc. that I currently have on my iPhone 4s. I want the iPad to be set up exactly like the iPhone. When first initializing/activating the iPad on iTunes, do I just do a "Restore" using the iPhone's back up data?
Thanks.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
That is unlikely to work. I think iTunes will only give you the option of restoring from a backup for the correct model. I have several backups for iPad and iPhone and when I restored my son's iPod this evening, the only option given was to restore from an iPod backup, the other's did not show up as available.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes, restore as the iPhone, then rename your iPad so that it will have its own profile for backups and such. You should get all the content, including the iPhone-size apps, but you can delete what you don't want later. You'll have to re-enter passwords, generally, but all else should be the same.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That is unlikely to work. I think iTunes will only give you the option of restoring from a backup for the correct model. I have several backups for iPad and iPhone and when I restored my son's iPod this evening, the only option given was to restore from an iPod backup, the other's did not show up as available.

Strange. I wonder why we've had different experiences. When I got my first iPad, I restored from my iPhone profile and it worked. And I later restored a new iPhone and touch from my iPad profile (the restore would note when some apps didn't work, because they were for iPad).

Anyway, OP, worth trying. If it doesn't work, you've not lost anything.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
True enough, go for it. If it works it'll save some grief. I just realized that my iPad and iPhone backups are in the cloud, and the iPod one is on the computer. That may have had something to do with it.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm definitely with Kay on this one, I set my first iPad up from my iPhone back up, then my second iPad from my first iPad's back up. It's always been painless.

The Archangel

OP

5er driver

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks everyone, I figured it should work. And also figured I would delete the apps that were for iPhone only. Now, I just cannot wait for my iPad to arrive. Maybe I should just slip into a coma and wake the morning of 16 March. :)

Most reactions

Latest posts