What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Setting up iPad for someone else

Ant

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi all, I am new to the forum so I guess first of all hello...

I hope you don't mind but I haven't even set the new iPad, I have received just an hour ago, up yet. However, the iPad is not actually for me... I have bought it for my dad.

On switching the iPad on for the first time it is asking me to connect to a PC/Mac, download iTunes etc... however I am sure that if I connect it to my own PC it will assume I am to be the user and it will use my account and sync my iTunes and Apps etc...

Ultimately can I set this up for my dad using my own PC? Basically I don't want him to have a whole load of issues when it comes to him linking it to his own laptop later on, i.e. deleting everything that I have set up and asking him to go through the same process of setting it up!

Or, would I just be a whole load better off setting it up from his laptop?

Sorry if this has been covered before, but I couldn't find anything this specific although I am sure the question is nothing new...

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Tbh if your father has a laptop it's very simple for him to just fire up iTunes, create an account and plug in his iPad.
It doesn't take long and will save you a lot of bother. Other than that the iPad doesn't need setting up and will work straight away.

Yes you can set it up on your machine but you would first have to deauthorize your current account in iTunes, thats if you have one (under advanced settings) and create one for your father. Name, password credit card. Once set up you would then have to reauthorise that account for yourself. Load of annoying nonsense but little choice.

Best to check out the iPad user guide first
http://manuals.info.apple.com/en_US/iPad_User_Guide.pdf

BrennB

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Plus you can only sync to one pc so you'd have to erase anything you've loaded from your pc...better off waiting for dad.

King Hal

iPF Noob
Reaction score
IMO it's relatively straightforward. I had my iPad delivered to my work. I installed iTunes on my work PC, initialised the iPad and then deleted iTunes from my work PC. You can then pretty well use your iPad on a stand alone basis and attach it to your or your Dad's PC at your leisure.

Simonkey75

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.ipad-answers.com
Personally, I think it's worth waiting to set it up with your father - it really doesn't take long, and you can help him learn his way round using iTunes and getting content on and off at the same time, killing two birds with one stone. He'll still have an up and running iPad in, what, 10-15 minutes, but he'll also feel more confident about using iTunes in the future without you being present.

I hope your father gets lots of enjoyment and entertainment from his new iPad. It's a great device.

Most reactions

Latest posts