What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help Setting Up iPad Please

txacoli

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My name is Christine and I am a 70 year old silver surfer who is not too familiar with computers, but who is learning more day by day.
Earlier this year my son bought an iPad when visiting me and set it up on my computer. I watched him use it and decided recently to buy myself one as I regularly go away and would like to access emails and have access to a webcam without hawking round a laptop. But there's a problem. I guess that a lot of people come to places like this with problems?? I'm not sure if I should post this elsewhere but perhaps you can tell me as I don't use forums that much and am not too sure of the etiquette! I would ask my son, but he lives in mainland Europe and can't pop back home to help me out like he used to when he only lived 30 miles away!

The problem is this..............since I bought the iPad, I can't register it and it's driving me crazy. I keep hitting the reset button, but that does nothing. Because my son registered his iPad on my computer, it keeps asking for his password. He's told me that I need to name my iPad with a unique name and create a unique iTunes account, but I'm still having trouble.

I wonder if there is someone kind enough to give me full instructions or point me to a webpage that gives me full instructions as to how I can register my own iPad on my computer and get beyond putting in my son's password, which he tell me will 'sink' his iPad to my machine if I do.

Thank you in anticipation.
Christine

Last edited by a moderator:

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My name is Christine and I am a 70 year old silver surfer who is not too familiar with computers, but who is learning more day by day.
Earlier this year my son bought an iPad when visiting me and set it up on my computer. I watched him use it and decided recently to buy myself one as I regularly go away and would like to access emails and have access to a webcam without hawking round a laptop. But there's a problem. I guess that a lot of people come to places like this with problems?? I'm not sure if I should post this elsewhere but perhaps you can tell me as I don't use forums that much and am not too sure of the etiquette! I would ask my son, but he lives in mainland Europe and can't pop back home to help me out like he used to when he only lived 30 miles away!

The problem is this..............since I bought the iPad, I can't register it and it's driving me crazy. I keep hitting the reset button, but that does nothing. Because my son registered his iPad on my computer, it keeps asking for his password. He's told me that I need to name my iPad with a unique name and create a unique iTunes account, but I'm still having trouble.

I wonder if there is someone kind enough to give me full instructions or point me to a webpage that gives me full instructions as to how I can register my own iPad on my computer and get beyond putting in my son's password, which he tell me will 'sink' his iPad to my machine if I do.

Thank you in anticipation.
Christine
Welcome to the forum Christine! There are a lot of great people here willing to lend a hand anytime. Often using the Advanced Search box (at the top of every page) will lead you to the answers you're looking for. If not, feel free to post a question in the appropriate area.

Please take a moment to view the information here to get the most out of your iPad as well as our forum:
BTW, I moved your post to the iPad Help area where you’re likely to get a better response to your question.

Welcome again and enjoy!

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi there Christine and welcome.

There are simple steps here for setting up a separate iTunes account http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1495 hopefully this will help you but if not please let us know and we will do what we can to help.

There is lots of good advice and info on here plus plenty of members all too willing to help with any problems.

Remember, search is your friend.......and please don't forget to read the rules http://www.ipadforums.net/forum-rules-help-info/2119-forum-rules-everybody-please-read.html

These are the hacking section rules for all you jail breakers (and would be jail breakers) http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-hacking/2892-hacking-section-rules-please-read.html

We also have an app for this forum. The link to download the app is: Discussion Forum for iPad Users for iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad on the iTunes App Store

You can download the manual for your iPad here http://support.apple.com/manuals/ and in iBooks search for "iPad user guide for" and you will find free comprehensive manuals for both iOS 4 and 5.

If you have other Apple products or are interested in other Apple kit then why not join our sister forum too at http://www.appleforums.net/

Finally, if you still haven't had enough, how about a video explaining about our other forums (note:you may want to play this at half speed but hey, why shouldn't Phil be excited about our forums!)

The Archangel

Last edited by a moderator:

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi Christine - welcome to the forum! :)

I was about to send you the same link as did Gabriel - point is that multiple iPads can be set up on the same iTunes program under the same or different accounts.

Not sure, however, when you are being asked for your son's password, is this w/i iTunes or when signing into your computer (assume that you have a Windows PC?)?

Next question is whether you have an Apple account yourself? If not, then just open iTunes (w/ nothing attached), go to the 'Store' menu and select 'Create Account' - make sure your iTunes is the latest version (i.e. 10.5 - check under 'Help' and then 'About iTunes') - once you have your own account then follow the directions in the link given; you'll need to select the option using different accounts.

Let us know if this is helpful - good luck!

Most reactions

Latest posts