What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Set Google Classic as Default Search Engine in Safari?

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No - unfortunately it's not possible in Safari. There was a blog from one of the Google staffers who said that, for some deep and myseterious technical reason, this can't be done. But, once you've switched to Classic, then all the following pages in the same search will remain on Classic. Maybe they'll find a fix for this because it is annoying. It would even be helpful to have the Classic link towards the top of the screen, so you don't have to scroll all the way down to switch it.

Tim

OP
Hellion

Hellion

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for that Tim. I agree it would be better to have the 'classic' link at the top of the page instead of the bottom.

I thought I might have been able to set cassic as default in my Google preferences, but no dice :-(

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
You can go to the Classic pages, then save the bookmark to the Home Screen. This gives you a way to open the Classic pages in one step, instead of two or three.

You could even create an entire folder with links to each of the Classic or Desktop pages you want for supper fast access.

Hold in mind that some of the Desktop pages work very poorly or not at on in Safari (on the iPad). In some cases, like Contacts, the HTML page works better, for all it's awkward ugliness. That is one of the big reasons that Google redirects you to mobile sites. Not that they have one for Contacts, the slackers.

Last edited:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Trivia:

Some sites are Tablet/iPad ready, and will supply a nice icon when you save a bookmark to the home screen. Most are not, but you can get a nicer icon by zooming in on the part of a page you want the icon to represent. Unfortunately this also reopens the page in zoomed mode.

Most reactions