What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Selling iPad 2?

Gotmilk0112

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So now that I've got my Air 2, I was thinking of selling my old iPad 2, though I'm not exactly sure how much to sell it for. A friend suggested that I use Gazelle, but they only offered me $80 for it. Egh, not selling a perfectly functional iPad for such a low price.

It's a 32gb WiFi+3G (AT&T) model. The back has almost no visible scratches or scuffs, and the screen is in great condition as well, because I usually used either a soft-tipped stylus or a bluetooth mouse. I'm also wanting to sell my Logitech Ultrathin Keyboard Cover with it, which, while substantially scratched/scuffed in a few places on the back, still works perfectly fine. Kinda hard to avoid scratches and scuffs, seeing as it's always against a table or other surface, when in use.

So a 32gb 3G(AT&T) iPad 2 with original box and charging cable, plus a Logitech Ultrathin Keyboard Cover.

How much could I get for that? I'd guess somewhere in the ballpark of $150 - $225? On eBay, brand-new 32GB 3G iPad 2's seem to be selling for around $230, with used ones around $130, so maybe $180 or so would be fair for great condition used + keyboard case?

Furthermore, what would be the best method of wiping the hard drive clean? I want to be absolutely sure that it's completely erased, so that none of my personal data could be recovered from it after I sell it.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
So now that I've got my Air 2, I was thinking of selling my old iPad 2, though I'm not exactly sure how much to sell it for. A friend suggested that I use Gazelle, but they only offered me $80 for it. Egh, not selling a perfectly functional iPad for such a low price.
It's a 32gb WiFi+3G (AT&T) model............

Well, I just went through the same process in early December, i.e. new Air 2, and then sold my iPad 2 online using Glyde - see below what your model would bring there; mine sold for $141 (no cellular; otherwise similar to yours). Once the device is bought by another customer, Glyde will send you a shipping box (charge for that & a commission hence the price differences on the attachment) and the buyer has 72 hrs to OK the purchase - Glyde offers a number of options for getting your money.

Furthermore, what would be the best method of wiping the hard drive clean? I want to be absolutely sure that it's completely erased, so that none of my personal data could be recovered from it after I sell it.

This has been asked numerous times, so I would suggest doing a search; also, there are several Apple Support articles discussing the steps needed; basically, you need to: 1) Disable 'Find My iPhone' (IMPORTANT!); 2) Sign out of your iCloud account; and 3) Goto Settings -> General -> Reset -> Reset All Content and Settings - your information will be wiped from storage and the new user can setup up the device just like you did originally using their account information. You will also need to remove the SIM card. Dave :)

Screen Shot 2015-01-05 at 12.02.21 PM.png

OP
G

Gotmilk0112

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Huh...looking at reviews for that Glyde site, it's kinda split 50/50 between 5-star ratings and 1-star ratings on one site. Lots of people complaining about selling things and not getting their money until months later, and customer support being absolutely 0 help in these kinds of situations. Plus it only allows me to sell the iPad, whereas I want to sell the iPad plus the keyboard cover.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Well, guess that if I left a rating, mine would be at the higher end - I've dealt w/ Glyde before selling DVDs (have replaced many w/ Blu-ray discs) and the experience was fine; this is the first time I sold an electronic device and the interchange worked as described - there are 4 ways to get your money: 1) Buy on Glyde; 2) Have a check mailed (which I did last week - have not received it yet; and a couple of bucks surcharge); 3) Accept 'bit coins' (no experience); or 4) Direct deposit to your bank.

Now, if you want to sell a 'package deal' and make more money, then doing the exchange yourself on eBay, Craig's List, or a more direct personal contact, then that's your decision. I wanted a non-personal exchange knowing that the buyer would not know me and thus I would not be a potential IT advisor to a new owner (which would have happened if given to someone in my family, which I did consider). Good luck and let us know how you do. Dave :)

Most reactions

Latest posts