What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Selecting which Calendars not to sync?

iBozz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have several Calendars on my Mavericks iMac and these sync quite happily with my iOS7 iPad.

On the iMac I have the app Dates to iCal 2 v 2.4.3 which uses the Address Book Birthday, Anniversary etc function to notify me of those dates in Calendar. However, in Mavericks, Birthdays are shown by default although, as far as i can see, Anniversaries aren't.

Now, when the two devices sync, I get the Mavericks and Dates to iCal birthdays showing on the iPad so I want to stop the Birthday calendar syncing - but I cannot find a way to stop one specific calendar from syncing.

On the iPad i can see no list of calendars from which I can select/deselect and and on the iMac I cannot find a Calendar list within the iTunes syncing panel.

I seem to recall, however, that at some stage in the past (in iTunes?) all calendars were listed and i could click on those i wished to sync - has that feature been removed or should I stop taking hallucinatory substances?

I can, and do, deselect the calendar from the "display" option within the iPad's calendar but it has an annoying habit of reselecting itself automatically - don't ask how as I have no idea.

How can I stop a specific calendar from syncing?

Any advice would be much appreciated, many thanks in advance.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
It should be possible in www.icloud,com. Enter your iCloud account email address and password, and then there are several options to select: the iWorks apps (Numbers, Pages, Keynotes), Contacts and Calendars. Maybe this is where you saw it. That's only possible with (an) iCloud calendar/s.

This can't be done on an iPad - at least not in Safari. You either have to do it on a computer, or use a different browser than Google or Safari.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
All calendars created in an iCloud account will sync to all devices that use that iCloud account. You can choose to view them, or not; but the actual syncing of each calendar is not optional.

The Birthday calendar is a special calendar that used the Birthday field in your Contacts app. Whether it syncs or not depends on whether you sync your iCloud contacts. You used to be able to turn this calendar on/off in settings. Now it's just like the other calendars, you can only choose to view it, or not.

I didn't know you could use and Anniversary calendar, on iOS or OS X. I know it's an optional field in Contacts, but haven't used it before. I'll have to experiment to see what happens.

The settings that Johanna is 'probably' thinking about are Share settings. These are for sharing your iCloud calendars with other iCloud account users. They can be set as read only, or full access. Before iOS 7 you could only set these up using icloud.com in a desktop browser. Now you can share calendars by choosing 'Calendar' at teh bottom, the (i) to the right of the calendar, and "Add Person"

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I was not thinking of sharing calendars. Before iOS 7, the iCloud calendar had more options on the site I posted. I didn't look at them for quite a while, today I noticed that you can do the same on an iPad without using a browser. My mistake. :oops:

It was possible with iTunes 10 to select calendars which then were synced to the iPad. This is not possible any more with iTunes 11 and later, afaik.

Last edited:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I forgot about the iTunes sync/sharing options. I'm not sure what is left there, since once you activate iCloud syncing all the direct USB syncing options go away. At least they don on OS X.

Last edited:

Most reactions