What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Seeing the screen with polarized sunglasses

earlboston

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am unable to see the screen with my sunglasses on. Is there a setting to allow for this? The iPhone 4 is not a problem
and I thought the screens were the same technology. Thoughts?

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, it's a "feature" of the iPad screen. It cannot be seen in portrait view when wearing polarized sunglasses. The only option is to turn the iPad to landscape view (or remove the sunglasses).

Marilyn

Moray

iPF Noob
Reaction score
earlboston said:
I am unable to see the screen with my sunglasses on. Is there a setting to allow for this? The iPhone 4 is not a problem
and I thought the screens were the same technology. Thoughts?

For decades there has been a problem with viewing glass screens of all kinds due to reflections and glare. This was true of early TVs, CRTs, and so on. Since any light reflected off a non-metallic surface is at least partly polarised, one idea adopted early - I mean in the 1950s - was to view with. Polarised spectacles. Another was to,build polarising into the display, sometimes using what is called circular polarising. Many polaroid sung
Asses have one lens polarised vertically and the other horizontally. If you look at a screen with a reflection on wearing such glasses and close first one eye and then the other you may find that the reflection disappears with one eye but not with the other. Also, try tilting your head or tilting (left hand up, right hand down, not towards and away). If you have prescription glasses this may not work - it will depend on whether or not the two eyes are polarised in the same orientation. I don't know whether the iPad screen is circularly polarised or linearly polarised.

Even if this does not,help I hope you find it interesting!

Npm

Moray

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Moray said:
For decades there has been a problem with viewing glass screens of all kinds due to reflections and glare. This was true of early TVs, CRTs, and so on. Since any light reflected off a non-metallic surface is at least partly polarised, one idea adopted early - I mean in the 1950s - was to view with. Polarised spectacles. Another was to,build polarising into the display, sometimes using what is called circular polarising. Many polaroid sunglasses have one lens polarised vertically and the other horizontally. If you look at a screen with a reflection on wearing such glasses and close first one eye and then the other you may find that the reflection disappears with one eye but not with the other. Also, try tilting your head or tilting (left hand up, right hand down, not towards and away). If you have prescription glasses this may not work - it will depend on whether or not the two eyes are polarised in the same orientation. I don't know whether the iPad screen is circularly polarised or linearly polarised.

Even if this does not,help I hope you find it interesting!

Npm

sorry about the original rude typo!

seneca18

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This was always an issue for me while flying. Being a pilot you want to have really nice sunglasses to avoid sun glare. However most high end sunglasses are polarized and thus make it impossible to see digital flight instrument displays and multi function displays. Catch 22 I guess.

Most reactions