What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Secure Transactions on iPad

RAC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I am a bit reluctant to undertake credit card or internet banking transactions on the iPad due to the lack of virus protection.
What's the general opinion on this subject?
Thanks.

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have yet to access my on line banking on here. Too paranoid, I suppose.

Having said that ~

I know folks that have had their bank accounts compromised, credit cards hacked and their iTunes account tapped into.

All on their computers. They don't even have an iPad.

OP
R

RAC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have yet to access my on line banking on here. Too paranoid, I suppose.

Having said that ~

I know folks that have had their bank accounts compromised, credit cards hacked and their iTunes account tapped into.

All on their computers. They don't even have an iPad.

I think that there may have been a significant a iTunes fraud a couple of months ago. I was caught (I got my money back :D), and I saw many similar reports about the same time. I hadn't used the iTunes account for at least a year so I don't think it was a PC security issue.

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Viruses aren't really the issue with making secure transactions on your iPad. As long as the website is secure, you should be OK. I admit that doing transactions online takes a "leap of faith", but I have been doing it for years and so far (knock wood) have suffered no ill effects. Instead of writing 25-30 checks a month, I now write 2 or maybe 3... maybe. I also check my bank account every day to look for unauthorized transactions.

I don't happen to use my iPad for this, but I would have no problems doing so. One day for "shitums" and giggles, I went to the American Express website on my iPad and I couldn't pay my bill there even if I wanted to -- it is Flash based!

OP
R

RAC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Viruses aren't really the issue with making secure transactions on your iPad. As long as the website is secure, you should be OK.

By secure web site do you mean https:// ?

By the way, I might write out a cheque once a year. It's usually quite difficult to find the cheque book.

iceman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am a bit reluctant to undertake credit card or internet banking transactions on the iPad due to the lack of virus protection.
What's the general opinion on this subject?
Thanks.

There isn't any virus protection because there aren't any viruses written for the iPad.

Your iPad should be fine unless you jailbreak it, then security is questionable.

iceman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Your iPad should be fine unless you jailbreak it, then security is questionable.

For Real? I didn't know this. Interesting.

So ~

What is erased or compromised after JB?

I don't think jail breaking itself erases or compromises the iPad. It just opens it up more then a stock iPad, which could lead to security issues.

But I work in the infosec field, so I am more paranoid then most people.

I have jailbreaked my iPad, but I do not access my bank accounts with it.

henry2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i have use a prepaid debt card to buy things and when i need to reload the card as it need from going to a walmart store ..it a little bit of a pain in the butt but it works for me .

i buy a lot of items on line useing a prepaid debt card set up and i never been hurt doing that style of useing a credit card..i load the basic amount onto the card and i use it to buy the items i want here and there ..

cmalinowski

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There isn't any virus protection because there aren't any viruses written for the iPad.
Yet. Give it time.

For Real? I didn't know this. Interesting.

So ~

What is erased or compromised after JB?

I don't think jail breaking itself erases or compromises the iPad. It just opens it up more then a stock iPad, which could lead to security issues.

But I work in the infosec field, so I am more paranoid then most people.

I have jailbreaked my iPad, but I do not access my bank accounts with it.
If jailbreakme.com can jailbreak your iDevice over the web (and I am thankful that it is so convenient), the same flaws should open it up to other attacks.

I don't work in info security, but logic suggests that it is possible. Jailbreaking may open up some holes, but if you change the root pw, it probably closes some too.

Chris

Most reactions

Latest posts