What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Seagate GoFlex Mobile Wireless Storage

xhuntercx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Has anyone bought the portable hard drive that seagate made, im wondering how good it is because having that much room would be wonderful. I have 212 full-length movies in itunes and counting. Watching any of those on the go would be amazing.

Would you be able to add movie artwork for your videos? (like itunes)

If anybody could tell me some of the pros and cons of the thing that would be awesome.(Screenshots would be awesome!)

Thanks

Heres a Link to the Product-
[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Satellite-Wireless-Storage-STBF500101-Black/dp/B004Z0S7K6]Amazon.com: Seagate GoFlex Satellite Mobile Wireless Storage STBF500101-Black: Electronics[/ame]

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have it...I got it earlier this week.

It has problems....but it does work. I moved about 71 ripped movies to it once I got it. I suggest not using any of the software that comes with the Goflex, just drag your stuff into a folder. Also, if you have a MAC you might want to avoid it altogether for now. On a Windows PC its okay.

I have used MetaX to tag all of my ripped movies (I don't buy iTune movies). However, on the Goflex you can't see any of those tags. It just uses a frame from within the movie as a thumbnail. If you use folder view, you can simply scroll to the movie you want...you can see the file names.

The only good news I can report is that it does stream movies to the ipad 2 pretty well (so far). It doesn't work so well on Android tablets (there is no Android app as there is for iOS), so you have to work through a browser.

Music was a near disaster for me, partly because none of my mp3s are tagged properly. While the iPad can deal with that, the Goflex makes a big mess of all of that hidden artwork. I just deleted all of the music since I mainly bought this for playing movies on the go.

It works well on my Windows laptops, with the same issues as above.

Battery life is by no means stellar. It will die before your iPad will, but it gets at least 2.5 hours. This is bit-rate dependent. My rips are at 2000 kbps and mostly 720p.

HTH.

Last edited:
OP
xhuntercx

xhuntercx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
thanks that kinda what i would have expected-, no artwork, bad tagging, but does its job.

danialbi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
few questions on satellite

@AQ_OC:
1) Seagate say "it will play divx/ xvid etc. provided the ios device can"... Does it mean that all will be OK after you install a 3rd party player? Will this work within seagate app? How does it work in detail? Did you try divx?

2) Someone reported thermal issues - movies stopping after some 2hrs operation; this was fixed apparently by removing the case...??

3) Anybody knows product release date in Europe?
Tnx

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
danialbi said:
@AQ_OC:
1) Seagate say "it will play divx/ xvid etc. provided the ios device can"... Does it mean that all will be OK after you install a 3rd party player? Will this work within seagate app? How does it work in detail? Did you try divx?

2) Someone reported thermal issues - movies stopping after some 2hrs operation; this was fixed apparently by removing the case...??

3) Anybody knows product release date in Europe?
Tnx

===========================

1) I don't play divx or xvid files, only m4v files. But from folder view, you just click on the file and it plays....I assume it is using the native iPad player, but I'm not 100% sure. I'm not interested in divx or xvid.

2) my unit a was bit warm after playing avatar for over 2.5 hours but it didn't shut down. What does removing the case mean? There is no case to be removed that I can see.

drmjsaunders

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Does anyone know if the GoFlex can stream a movie to the iPad2 on an airplane in the absence of onboard WiFi?
Thanks.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
drmjsaunders said:
Does anyone know if the GoFlex can stream a movie to the iPad2 on an airplane in the absence of onboard WiFi?
Thanks.

That is exactly what it is for. There is to be a major update to it in march 2012.

Bingoldsby

iPF Noob
Reaction score
AQ_OC said:
There is to be a major update to it in march 2012.

Does that mean "update" to the physical unit or update to firmware/software? Thanks.

Brian - Sent from my iPad using iPF

rosshan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Bingoldsby said:
Does that mean "update" to the physical unit or update to firmware/software? Thanks.

Brian - Sent from my iPad using iPF

It will be a firmware update. There's a closed beta test going on now I hear.

emcafee

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello
I'm a new user. I just got the GoFlex wireless drive. Is there a way to transfer videos and photos from the iPad onto the driver?

rosshan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
emcafee said:
Hello
I'm a new user. I just got the GoFlex wireless drive. Is there a way to transfer videos and photos from the iPad onto the driver?

What do you mean "on to the driver"?

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
emcafee said:
Hello

At the moment it looks like its a one way deal only, I.e. you can read files on the goflex from your iPad but you can't write back to the goflex. From my research, after reading your question, I understand that they may offer the ability to write from the iPad to the goflex in the next app update.

The Archangel

Most reactions

Latest posts