What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Screen turned off! Arghhhh

bamber17

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi- I just got an iPad 2 today and am horribly frustrated!

First - it makes me tap every key multiple times to recognise it (imagine the time it took to plug in my network key for wireless without mistakes)

Second - the screen has just turned off! Can't get it back on.

Help!!!?????

I am sending this from my phone.what can I do to get the screen back on and then, what do I do to get one touch on the keyboard.

Thanks

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi bamber-welcome to the forum!!

Sorry to hear about your frustration.

If you have not done this already, give this a try-May want to try these in order and proceed to the next step if it does not work.

Try to quit the apps that are an issue. To do this by pressing the home button twice to see the bar of apps on the bottom of the screen. Find the apps that are not responding and long press onto the app until it shakes. When it starts to shake, touch the red negative sign in the corner of the app. This will not delete, but will close the app. Than open and retry to see if it works.

If not, than restart the ipad. Press the power switch until you get the slide lock to power off. Turn back on and retry.

If not, than reset the ipad. Press the power switch and the home button until the screen turns off. May take a few seconds to power off.

Let us know if this is still giving you a problem.:eek:

OP
B

bamber17

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks skimonkey- resetting did it momentarily but then the screen went blank again. The voice is still talking to me :) but it is as if everything g is there but I just can't see it! If I touch the screen it respond but there is no images at all.

Any more top tips?

Thanks!

OP
B

bamber17

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just did it again and it said. 'screen curtain on'

Does that help? How do I turn the screen curtain off?

Thanks!

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Exactly what are you doing when it turns off? What app? Just by typing the keyboard is non-responsive? Voice is talking and screen curtain on?

Is your iPad a stock iPad or has it been unlocked?

OP
B

bamber17

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi
I didn't have anything running- was just setting up and playing around. In between my posts I searched this site and found I could turn the screen curtain off by tapping with 3 fingers and it worked. I guess it's just really sensitive and will have to watch that (maybe I am a freak 3 fingers type person!). have to say huge thanks- cos if I hadn't reset it I wouldn't have heard the voice saying screen curtain on! Thanks do much.

One final question is around the keyboard (I have searched for this but to no avail). How do I turn on 'one touch typing'? Right now I have to tap each letter to recognise it, then double tap it to select. Is there a way to turn it onto one touch?

Thanks!

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Ok, good...I thought I was hearing voices. LOL!

Regarding your keyboard issue go to your iPad settings/general/assesibility/assistive touch. Turn off assistive touch since this is for adaptive equipment for people that have physical impairments and need the repeat tap option.

By the way, since owning an iPad since September I have never heard of "screen curtain on/off" option. Now I have learned something new!!

OP
B

bamber17

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks so very much! I am sure it wont be the last time I am on here asking questions!

Have a great evening!

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
No worries really, ask away! That's why we are all here. You already know about the Search function as well!!

Best wishes and enjoy your iPad!!

Most reactions

Latest posts