What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Screen protector preference?

ipfuser55

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm still trying them. Another silicone version coming tommorrow. In the end I think the disposable ones might be the answer, or a gentle clean of the screen each time you use it without a stick on protection film.

ipfuser55

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ATC2 said:
I am using an anti glare screen protector that I got on Amazon for around $9.00 and it is holding up well, sorry don't remember the brand. I must add If I were using my iPad in a more active environment like class room etc. I would consider an item from Otter box like the one I have for my phone.

http://www.otterbox.com/ereader-and-tablet-cases/ereader-and-tablet-cases,default,sc.html

Is it a permanent add on, or does it require replacement from time to time? I'm looking for something that won't interfere with the touch screen, keeps itself clean, and won't need constant replacement! Not asking for much am I?

Jeff

Sent from my iPad using iPF

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is it a permanent add on, or does it require replacement from time to time? I'm looking for something that won't interfere with the touch screen, keeps itself clean, and won't need constant replacement! Not asking for much am I?

With a "disposable" filter (by this, I assume you mean one which needs to be changed fairly often), the question of cost-effectiveness becomes key. (And also how much you enjoy installing these things over and over again...)

All it takes is three changes of a $10 screen, and you're out of pocket by $30 -- the cost of which is equal to a good-quality product that only needs to be installed once, and will last the lifetime of the device. I also love getting el cheapo items (with free postage!) off Fleabay - but there are also some things for which getting a quality product at a fair price I wouldn't compromise on.

Ingliside

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just fitted the Moshi ivisor, it is really good, doesn't adhere to screen but only to the bezzle so no bubbles, easily removed, found it better to have screen on home to line up otherwise it is squint when lined up to the outside rim.

GAMESHARQ

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi all. I was thinking of getting a screen protector for my ipad 2. I was looking at the PowerSupport Crystal Film for $30 + shipping.

Some people seem to think it's worth it, but other people have said that they use their ipad 2 a lot and have had no scratches or damage at all.

Do you think it's worth the $30 investment?

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
GAMESHARQ said:
Some people seem to think it's worth it, but other people have said that they use their ipad 2 a lot and have had no scratches or damage at all. Do you think it's worth the $30 investment?

As I've mentioned in another thread, not having incurred damage in the past is no indicator of what will happen in the future, as accidents are, by definition, unpredictable. On the other hand, $30 is on the high end of pricing for a screen protector - if you are just looking to put a screen to protect the glass, there's lots of lower priced options available.

There are various kinds of screens for different users. A matte screen, for example, greatly reduces glare and reflection from the glass, which makes it ideal if you use it outdoors a lot. A privacy filter will prevent people sitting beside you from reading your screen. A mirrored screen cover turns your screen into a highly-reflective mirror-like effect when it's off, but allows the display to appear when turned on.

Plwebb

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My iPad 2's screen is nekkid but I do have covers that I keep it in.
I do have the ummm.... either the Bestskinever or the Zagg shield on my iPhone 4 though since it would likely be more susceptible to scratching.

GAMESHARQ

iPF Novice
Reaction score
GAMESHARQ said:
Some people seem to think it's worth it, but other people have said that they use their ipad 2 a lot and have had no scratches or damage at all. Do you think it's worth the $30 investment?

As I've mentioned in another thread, not having incurred damage in the past is no indicator of what will happen in the future, as accidents are, by definition, unpredictable. On the other hand, $30 is on the high end of pricing for a screen protector - if you are just looking to put a screen to protect the glass, there's lots of lower priced options available.

There are various kinds of screens for different users. A matte screen, for example, greatly reduces glare and reflection from the glass, which makes it ideal if you use it outdoors a lot. A privacy filter will prevent people sitting beside you from reading your screen. A mirrored screen cover turns your screen into a highly-reflective mirror-like effect when it's off, but allows the display to appear when turned on.

I don't want anything of poor quality. I want something that will not negatively effect the display of the screen or the response to touch. I'd also like something that will make it easy to read in sunlight. I don't really care about the privacy factor.

ipfuser55

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That's what I got. Poor quality. Need something better, those rip off and replace ones are rubbish!

Sent from my iPad using iPF

GAMESHARQ

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I don't know what the difference is between the PowerSupport Anti-Glare and the PowerSupport Crystal Film.

Are there any down sides to having an anti-glare protector? Does it diminish the color quality or anything?

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
GAMESHARQ said:
I don't want anything of poor quality. I want something that will not negatively effect the display of the screen or the response to touch. I'd also like something that will make it easy to read in sunlight. I don't really care about the privacy factor.

Then you'd want to consider a matte protector. I put a matte filter from Brando on my device because I use my iPad outdoors a lot, which removes most of the harsh ambient glare and reflection from naked glass. A great side effect of the matte protector is that it also virtually eliminates smudges and 'squeaks' from fingers, which makes for a smooth tactile experience.

The downside of a matte protector is that it creates a 'pixellation effect', but to me that's a non-issue (for the Brando at least) because that's exactly how they're designed to reduce glare and reflection, and unless you use the iPad with your eyes two inches from the screen, there's no perceptible degradation in picture quality.

King.Khoja

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I love my ghost armor.

I do too! I got the front done after walking by the kiosk all the time. Im really happy with how it turned out, just dont know if I should get that back done or not. I dont want the whole glossy finish and thats all they have. They said there going to get the carbon fiber one soon so I might be interested in that one since I got the black smart cover.

Most reactions

Latest posts