What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

screen durability

dongeel

iPF Noob
Reaction score
KayKayKay and KevinJ, please do not remove this post. This is not about screen protector, rather I really want to know if anyone is sure about the durability of iPad screen when used repeatedly naked. Anyone?

Nakedbabytoes

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I haven't had any issues with screen durability over a years worth of use. My 2 was over a year old and it looked brand new. My 3 now is the same. My autistic son just came into an original gen that was used by a tech company. The cover that is on his device is all knarly and pretty dirty from heavy usage, but his screen and device look phenominal! No scratches present. Says a lot about durability of the device in general and the screen, me thinks!
I have mine in a bi-fold cover but don't have a screen protector. My son's is in a case like thing with a magnetic cover like a Smart Cover, but his also does not have a screen protector on it.

scudder

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Never had a screen protector on any of my iPads. Very durable in normal use just remember it is naked and never lay it screen down to clean the back without protecting the glass with a clean cloth for example or the smart cover closed. One grain on a hard surface will rip the oleophobic coating in an instant and there will be gnashing of teeth and tears.

OP
D

dongeel

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing your experience. Mine looks brand new, but I am always mindful of possible grain of sand falling in between my finger tip and screen. Remember the old Palm Pilot days, anyone? The screen gets heavily scratched after a year or two.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing your experience. Mine looks brand new, but I am always mindful of possible grain of sand falling in between my finger tip and screen. Remember the old Palm Pilot days, anyone? The screen gets heavily scratched after a year or two.

Where is the sand coming from? Do you live near a beach?

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score

My iPad 1 is more than 2.5 years old and scratch-free without a screen protector from day one of the 3G model's sales starting. I have a Palm Pilot from the olden days, lol, and it's also still scratch-free.

I figure it's best to know the user to decide whether a screen protector is needed. I'm not worried about scratching from sand or otherwise. I don't think the screen is scratch proof, but I'm willing to risk scratches, knowing how I use my devices.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Oh, come on, assuming your location as "SC" means South Carolina, you know how that stuff gets everywhere!

Sand has never been a problem for me. None of my touch-screen devices have protectors and none of them have scratches. So, in my view, one needs to be near a beach playing in some sand or outside in the dirt for this to be a problem. While I do believe these screens can be scratched, it is not hard to avoid it, unless certain conditions are true: beach dweller, kids, etc.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Not sure why I would have removed the lead post. Kind of bemused here!

However, I digress. My experience is that I put a screen protector on my iPad and removed it after a year when it became too battered for comfort.

Since then, I've ran without one. I use the iPad in my truck and it's used extensively by young kids at the weekend. The screen seems to be holding up OK. I don't think I would go back to using one.

Sent from my iPhone using iPF

OP
D

dongeel

iPF Noob
Reaction score
KevinJS said:
Not sure why I would have removed the lead post. Kind of bemused here!

Sent from my iPhone using iPF

Well, My previous posting was removed and your name was one of the two saying the same topic (screen protector) could be found hundred times elsewhere in the forum. :)

I think when people post on this forum, they really want to know something. So removing it for the reason of "not again" is not a good practice imo.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
dongeel said:
Well, My previous posting was removed and your name was one of the two saying the same topic (screen protector) could be found hundred times elsewhere in the forum. :)

I think when people post on this forum, they really want to know something. So removing it for the reason of "not again" is not a good practice imo.

The reason that duplicate threads on the same topic are closed or removed is that multiple threads on the same topic fragments the conversation and makes it difficult to follow. If all questions and responses on a particular topic can be found in one thread, it becomes easy to follow and removes the chore of searching for and reading those multiple threads.

OP
D

dongeel

iPF Noob
Reaction score
scifan57 said:
The reason that duplicate threads on the same topic are closed or removed is that multiple threads on the same topic fragments the conversation and makes it difficult to follow. If all questions and responses on a particular topic can be found in one thread, it becomes easy to follow and removes the chore of searching for and reading those multiple threads.

Well, now it makes perfect sense! Never thought about it that way. I like these logical explanations. Thanks.

Most reactions

Latest posts