What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Otterbox Concern

Nominrath

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey all,

I have an iPad 4 with an Otterbox Defender series case and I while I love the case, I loathe the built in screen protector. It dulls the Retina display, is extremely prone to smudging, has a knack for trapping pet hair and dust between it and has this really weird 'watermark' effect that I have not been able to avoid... Even after trying numerous tricks and 'fixes' I've found scattered across the 'Net.

To be perfectly honest, I'd rather have a naked screen and the screen protector looks relatively easy to just pop out, but I worry about the snap-on cover. The hinges for the stand device look like they'll ride right up on the screen. Or at least bump and knock it.

I'm not real rough on my pad and I've seen some pretty convincing evidence that the iPad screen is fairly durable against scratches, but I can't help but feel a little paranoia against those hinges vs. the screen if I should remove the protector.

Any thoughts or tests or other help anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

zstairlessone

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The screen will protect the iPad screen from sand and dirt scratches if you use it in a harsh environment. It protects the forward camera also. You can clean it with a quick blast of Windex and paper towel (not something I would use on the iPad screen). Clean the inside, wipe it down as you dry it, with a towel, make sure the iPad screen is clean and wiped down - walla should see no more animal hair under the protective cover.

Supercali

iPF Noob
Reaction score
One solution is to get a high quality screen protector like power support or sgp and just remove the otterbox one. That's what I'm doing but i have a different rugged case.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2

zstairlessone

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I use an iVisor from Moshi on my iPhone, love it and I can remove it to wash or when I put the phone into my Defender case.

4ever

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Another vote for ivisor. I put one on my ipad 4 as soon as I got one and so far it's been great. I had heard too many horror stories about people trying to put on screen protectors including the one's from Otterbox and having bubbling problems. These things go on perfectly with zero bubbling. Recently ordered another one but this time for an android phone after trying to put on the Otterbox commuter screen cover. Tons of bubbles with the Otterbox cover and once again perfect with ivisor.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts