What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Safari: under ios8 new annoying problem..

MorrisTheCat

iPF Noob
Reaction score
is there a way please to lock the < > Bookmark etc (the important bits up top) so it doesn't disappear the minute you scroll down a page? Having to scroll back up (loose my place on that page) then do a forward/back etc just seems daft (but the effect of it shrinking and disappearing sure does look fancy)...

Apology if this has been already discussed. I did a search but have not found anything....

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
This is not possible. It's a feature of the new software, and there's no setting to prevent the address/search bar from hiding.

OP
MorrisTheCat

MorrisTheCat

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well how stupid of Apple! I have been a huge fan of their products and enjoyed using them at home and as a BOYD in my work. I've had iPods from day one to various iPhones (5s currently) and all the large iPads but have settled on this the 128GB-4. I use an alloy body MacBook Pro at home with the alloy body old MacBook as a 'general' amongst a couple of PC net books and my dual screen Desktop PC.... (Ok I am an into electronics engineering as a career and hobbyist).

Of late though there are "improvements" from Apple that are dumb that need whole new ways to work on the part of the user. I do a lot of website viewing and used to jump forward and back TO THE SAME PART OF A PAGE on different sites (which made the iPad such a neat tool on my work) but now all that's broken because I have scroll up and lose my place...

About now some folks begin saying it's Android time but I have a good tablet (Sony Xperia2) for that too and don't like it compared to the standard offered by Apple offered Apps. I guess my search begins to find a new Browser that works the way I need to and say bye bye to Safari....

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Tap at the very top of the screen, where the page name and time show, and the url, icon, and tab bars will re-appear. Tap there a second time and you'll jump back to the beginning of page.

Also, some new tricks:

Try pinching the screen with two fingers. This will give you a thumbnail view of all open tabs. Tap the tab you want to view. The previous tab will still be at it's scroll point when you go back to it.

This view has a couple of other features you may find useful. If you have another iOS device or a Mac signed onto the same iCloud account, you can see any open tabs on those devices as well. You can even close them from your current device.

There is a + icon so you can open new tabs.

It's also the new place to quickly switch in/out of Private mode.

Be careful about swiping thumbnails. This is one of the two methods of closing a tab. The other is to tap the X in the top left corner.

This is the same view/mode you get when tapping the double square icon at the top right; when the title bar is showing.

Apple taketh away. Apple giveth.

Interestingly, if you use this view to switch between a blank tab (showing your favorites) and an old tab that's been scrolled; you temporarily get the tool bars back. Until you scroll again. It's probably a bug.

Edit: The first part of the post was written last. I only discovered it while playing around with the other features that I already knew about, making sure I actually knew about them. In other words, thank you for your question; well, more like rant, but we'll give you credit anyway. :)

michali

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I love the way Safari works now. I don't need the tabs and bar at the top all the time I am on a page. I also love the way you can pinch and see all open pages.

Most reactions

Latest posts