What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Safari problems

Dansandberg

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Three problems im having:

1. The field im typing in right now is not editable in the app for this forum, only in safari can i type here.

2. Im having trouble playing youtube clips, clips from ebaumsworld, etc - do i need a quicktime app or something?

3. I value my privacy very much but my history in safari seems to always be there. If i go to scottrade, for example, i can clear the history but if i then type an s in the web address field scottrade comes up. I want to erase these saved sites.

Thanks in adavance for the help

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
1. Not sure what you mean. The iPad Forum app works fine for me. You might trying powering your iPad off then on again. This often clears up unusual behavior. Just hold the power button down until the power off slider appears. When the iPad is fully shut down hold the power button down again until the Apple logo appears. Takes about 3 seconds. Reboot takes about half a minute, at most.

2. Video clips are hit and miss on web sites. The iPad does not support Flash, so any site that uses it will be a problem. Other than that it's a known problem that some videos just don't download as fast as they should. Watch out for HD videos. They are the worse. For Flash sites you can try the Skyfire or Puffin browsers. They may or may not work.

3. All the important data like cookies, login information, etc are removed when you clear the history, cookies, etc. The url suggestions seem to be separate and I don't know of any way to clear them. Mail will do the same for any email address you send to.

I didn't answer before because I don't have any good answers for you. I imagine, like me, we were all waiting for someone else with a better answer to reply first.

8nobody8

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I found the same problem with the forum app. Then I realized that hadn't logged in properly using the login button at the top left hand corner. I was somehow in the app but viewing like a web page.

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I didn't answer before because I don't have any good answers for you. I imagine, like me, we were all waiting for someone else with a better answer to reply first.[/
Indeed. Couldn't help as I prefer to read these forums in a browser. Like to have the thread open above where I'm typing.

OP
D

Dansandberg

iPF Noob
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
1. Not sure what you mean. The iPad Forum app works fine for me. You might trying powering your iPad off then on again. This often clears up unusual behavior. Just hold the power button down until the power off slider appears. When the iPad is fully shut down hold the power button down again until the Apple logo appears. Takes about 3 seconds. Reboot takes about half a minute, at most.

I was logged into the app and i could start a new thread but only the subject was editable. I tried rebooting but i still cant start a new thread sucessfully from the app, only the webpage.

twerppoet said:
2. Video clips are hit and miss on web sites. The iPad does not support Flash, so any site that uses it will be a problem. Other than that it's a known problem that some videos just don't download as fast as they should. Watch out for HD videos. They are the worse. For Flash sites you can try the Skyfire or Puffin browsers. They may or may not work.

Forget download speed, I cant get a single youtube clip to work on this thing. I know flash is not supported, at all as far as i can tell. But youtube should work?

twerppoet said:
3. All the important data like cookies, login information, etc are removed when you clear the history, cookies, etc. The url suggestions seem to be separate and I don't know of any way to clear them. Mail will do the same for any email address you send to.

:( that sucks

twerppoet said:
I didn't answer before because I don't have any good answers for you. I imagine, like me, we were all waiting for someone else with a better answer to reply first.

Hey thanks for the info. At least i know its not something dumb im doing. Wouldve liked to see someone either from apple or a serious guru on here with answers to all these questions. This ipad is REALLY limited so far and i might be letting apple know im not thrilled. Im sharing this ipad with my roomates and they dnt need to know who im emailing, where im shopping, etc so not being able to clear site suggestions is annoying.

OP
D

Dansandberg

iPF Noob
Reaction score
O and when I initially typed the response above it was truncated at "Forget download speed...." in the app and only on the web browser does it look complete... IDK guys, I've had this ipad for one week and it seems very buggy.

Gazzaho

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think you mean the message box isn't allowing input with the web page view of the forum, right? I'm having the same problem myself and I am logged in, it says welcome Gazzaho, and the only option I see in the tabs is to log out. I asked the same question in another thread and was told some people are experiencing it some aren't, there doesn't seem to be an answer at the moment.

As for viewing video on YouTube, same here, links I've tried on these forums have all been the same, sound but no video. I can't say if this is a recent problem as I've only tried to views videos with my iPad on this forum in the last few days and they've never worked. I googled and found some posts stating it's recent as they were able to view video then all of a sudden it stopped working.

Most reactions