What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Safari 'Open In..' AVPlayer HD

siteplan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,

First time poster, long time reader to the forum.

I encountered a problem yesterday about Safari and 'Open In..' feature. After I installed AVPlayer HD in my iPad, I noticed that whenever I download a file in Safari the 'Open In..' doesn't work anymore - when I touch the Open In.. it doesn't show the apps like it used to and to the right of it, it shows 'Open In.. AVPlayer HD' even though it's not a video file and it's not compatible with AVPlayer HD.

Before installing AVPlayer HD what Safari usually does is when you download a file (.zip, .dwg, .psd etc) when the download completes it gives you options to "Open In.." and "Open In..app" (whatever app that's compatible with the file). But now after installing AVPlayer HD, the above mentioned happens - the 'Open In..' does not work anymore. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to solve this issue? I have consultants and clients sending me files and I want to be able to download it using Safari because I like using Safari.

:(
-Site

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
siteplan said:
Hi,

First time poster, long time reader to the forum.

I encountered a problem yesterday about Safari and 'Open In..' feature. After I installed AVPlayer HD in my iPad, I noticed that whenever I download a file in Safari the 'Open In..' doesn't work anymore - when I touch the Open In.. it doesn't show the apps like it used to and to the right of it, it shows 'Open In.. AVPlayer HD' even though it's not a video file and it's not compatible with AVPlayer HD.

Before installing AVPlayer HD what Safari usually does is when you download a file (.zip, .dwg, .psd etc) when the download completes it gives you options to "Open In.." and "Open In..app" (whatever app that's compatible with the file). But now after installing AVPlayer HD, the above mentioned happens - the 'Open In..' does not work anymore. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to solve this issue? I have consultants and clients sending me files and I want to be able to download it using Safari because I like using Safari.

:(
-Site

Have you tried resetting the iPad. Top and home button pressed at same time until slider appears to close then repeat until apple logo appears. This seems to fix most problems!

from Somerset UK on my iPad using IPF app

OP
S

siteplan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Have you tried resetting the iPad. Top and home button pressed at same time until slider appears to close then repeat until apple logo appears. This seems to fix most problems!

I tried that method, that was the first thing I did.

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Have you looked in settings - apps - Avplayer. To see if there is any changes there? By the way, welcome to our forum!

I am sorry that I can't think of anything else but I'm sure someone will be with you soon! 

Reaction score
Not sure, what is causing this issue. But it seems, that somehow the Open In app associations got messed up. From what you describe, it seems, as if AVPlayer has overriden the other Open In file associations, so it might be helpful to delete and reinstall on of the apps, which would usually show up when using Open In..., such as Goodreader/Filebrowser.

Otherwise, you could also try installing another app, such as Superfiles Lite (free app), as this can open most files, so it should show up in Open In... and by installing it after AVPlayer, you might be able to also restore the previous associations.

OP
S

siteplan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Not sure, what is causing this issue. But it seems, that somehow the Open In app associations got messed up. From what you describe, it seems, as if AVPlayer has overriden the other Open In file associations, so it might be helpful to delete and reinstall on of the apps, which would usually show up when using Open In..., such as Goodreader/Filebrowser.

Otherwise, you could also try installing another app, such as Superfiles Lite (free app), as this can open most files, so it should show up in Open In... and by installing it after AVPlayer, you might be able to also restore the previous associations.

Yeah. I was thinking of doing the same thing. I have Filer which is a decent app for file handling because it can view multiple file formats, I was sadden to see it disappear in the 'Open In..' option. So, I'm going to do exactly that, delete and reinstall the other apps (not AVPlayer), and see if it'll solve the issue. Thanks. Oh and thanks for telling me about SuperFiles, it seems like a better file handler app.

Does anyone else have any more suggestions?

Last edited:

shottiee

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi I'm new to this forum. Came across here from googling about the avplayer and safari's open in problem.

I seem to be having the same problem as siteplan does with Safari. However, it only happens on my iPhone 4 with iOS 4.3.2 (jailbroken). I found that when I remove the AVPLAYER app, my Safari reverts back to normal in the "Open In" section. And when I reinstalled AVPLAYER, Safari shows "Open" and "Open in AVPLAYER".

I would like to point out though, that my iPad with iOS 4.3.2 (jailbroken) and with AVPLAYER HD installed does not have this problem. It's only on my iPhone that this occurs.

What I use this for is because I can download torrent files and upload into a Dropbox folder that is being watched by my torrent client on another computer and get it to auto-start downloading.

OP
S

siteplan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi I'm new to this forum. Came across here from googling about the avplayer and safari's open in problem.

I seem to be having the same problem as siteplan does with Safari. However, it only happens on my iPhone 4 with iOS 4.3.2 (jailbroken). I found that when I remove the AVPLAYER app, my Safari reverts back to normal in the "Open In" section. And when I reinstalled AVPLAYER, Safari shows "Open" and "Open in AVPLAYER".

I would like to point out though, that my iPad with iOS 4.3.2 (jailbroken) and with AVPLAYER HD installed does not have this problem. It's only on my iPhone that this occurs.

What I use this for is because I can download torrent files and upload into a Dropbox folder that is being watched by my torrent client on another computer and get it to auto-start downloading.

I contacted the developer and he said that he doesn't know why this happens but he is investigating it. I don't want to jailbreak my iPad, I like it the way it is, it's just this minor problem that I have to deal with. Does anyone else have this issue?

sky2011

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, try to install other new apps like docs, PDF or VLC, I mean any one of these, that works with me fine,

Most reactions

Latest posts