What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Safari Hung by Bad, Bad Site - RESOLVED

bob12603

iPF Noob
Reaction score
(Details on how I got t this point below, but where I am now ... WARNING OBSCENE LANGUAGE) There's a popup in a Safari session which appears to be from (i.e. across the top it says) http://f**kmeister.com and the only option at the bottom is "OK". And I am afraid to click OK because I fear that I'll be shown ponographic photos and that my iPad will be infected with a virus. I don't see any way to make this session go away. Except for the popup all of Safari is grayed out and all of Safari is unusable.

I don't want to blow away all of Safari but I am willing to if that is what it will take - although I don't know how to do that.. However, even if I can blow away all of Safari will it remember where it was and put me right back into the same situation when I restart it?

I was on YouTube looking for some clips of a musician named Juan Nevani. I followed some link for "Someone to watch over me / In a sentimental mood" and then another link which also looked like it was related to the same piece of music and then, bingo!, the nasty popup. I am pretty sure I was no longer on YouTube when I clicked on the bad link.

Is there a way out of this?

Thanks, Bob

Last edited:

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Go to Settings - Safari and clear cookies and website data. This will remove your search history and the websites you visited previous to that link as well, but it should also help getting rid of the website link. Also force close Safari afterwards.

Hope that helps.

If possible, remove the website link from your post. If someone else wants to give advice to help you, he or she doesn't need to look at the site.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Can you tap the double box icon at the top right. If it works tap the X in the thumbnail of the site when it shows.

Failing that, you can go to Settings > Safari and Clear History and Website Data. This will clear all the tabs the next time you open Safari. You'll also have to log back into sites that normally remember you, but that's probably worth it.

OP
B

bob12603

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you JA and twerppoet. I hated to see all of the sites I had open disappear (I don't recall what they all were) but it was worth it.

I've had a similar problem with Chrome on Windows. I don't understand why browsers allow bad sites to completely lock them up!

Good idea JA about the URL. I should have typed it that way in the first place.

Thanks again, Bob

Most reactions

Latest posts