What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sad former Ipad owner

computerbear

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello,

I had the 64 3G Ipad and I adored it. Sadly, it got taken away last night. :(Someone had a great late Christmas present. Before you ask, no I did not have Mobile Me. Already had spent so much! I bought it when they first came out. I recently updated to 4.2, which I guess has free find my Ipad. Of if only I had set that up. I did not realize it was available until too late.

Working with my insurance to see what they will do. Now thinking I will replace with only the 16. In all the time I had it, I only put mostly apps. I have my Ipod for music, I mostly watched Hulu and Netflix, etc. read books, played games. I had a few pictures, but I can access those on Costco. So unless someone has reasons to offer, I think the 16 will be fine for now. I know they will upgrade anyway, so I guess I will get this one for now and in a couple years, get a new one.

Boy, I was really hoping someone would bring it back. Now my next question is this, I did do banking and things on it. I did not store data, per se, just went to credit card sites to make payments, etc. I canceled my data plan, they supposedly wiped the sim card, I changed all my account passwords I could think of in case they were able to find any in my emails or someother way. Can anyone think of anything else I need to secure against?

I am also going to try to find a thread for lost or stolen Ipads on here.

Get this, when I was on the phone with AT&T, the gal I talked to said my ipad would be unusable since she closed my account. I tried to explain to her that it doesn't matter, they still have wifi. So as long as they can get wifi, they can still surf, etc. Or am I missing something? :confused: It kinda boggles the mind that this person was supposedly an Ipad expert, yet didn't get this.

Anyway, hopefully, :) I will have another soon. I really miss it!!!

USBill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I suspect they can remotely disable the device. Did you contact the Apple store?

Did you use a lock code on it?

OP
computerbear

computerbear

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I did call Apple right after it happened, recording. Stated that they do not have anything in place to deal with this. Also, it does not really benefit Apple to retrieve them. We just get hooked, then buy another. I did have AT&T deactivate what they could.

Sadly, no I did not have the lock code set. I am constantly flipping it back on, so it would have been really annoying. And I always kept it pretty much kept it pinned under my arm when I was out of the house. However, as so often happens, I will close the barn door after the horse and set one when I again have an Ipad. The pain of losing it is just too great.

Now I am wondering if it would be worth it to wait a couple months to see what the Ipad 2 is like, or if I should just order it now. I am having withdrawals. Do you think the rumors are accurate? Camera, etc?

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Sorry to hear of your misfortune, especially when it's such an addictive gadget.
Hopefully your insurance will pay up.

With the prospect of a new model in the new year the 16gb model is definitely your best bet. Using zumocast/air video storage is much less critical than it was last April.
You might also think of using an app like StP/stash which would allow you to keep personal stuff on a password protected section of your pad.

Most reactions