What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Running Out of Memory

santafelady

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I wish I had gotten a bigger memory, but alas I have to work with what I've got!! My problem is that I don't really want all of my music on my ipad -- is there a way to delete some of it to free up some space?

hookbill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You didn't mention if you use data or not. If you don't use data, or maybe even if you do you should get the app ZumoCast. You can keep all your music on your computer and just stream it with ZumoCast. You can also access other parts of your computer, stream videos. I took all my music off my 16 gb ipad.

Now that might not sute your needs. It kind of depends on how you use your iPad. For me it's just perfect.

DaveSt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
+1 to the Zumocast recommendation, it is truly a device changing program.

As far as removing music from your Ipad, you will need to connect your Ipad to your PC or Mac. Then navigate to your Ipad, and then music. Now start selecting the music you wish to remove and hit delete. As far as I know there is no way to remove music directly on the device. I never really understood the reason for that, but I suppose that is fit for another topic!

iPadBiz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had the same problem. The best way is to set up specific playlists on iTunes on your PC or Mac and then set iTunes to ONLY sync those playlists rather than sync the entire music library.

OP
S

santafelady

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Out of Memory

That sounds perfect. Thank you. One more question - since I have already done the sync from I-tunes -- can I cancel all of the tunes and start over with the lists I make?

kvizzel

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hmmm, great idea, I'm gonna remove all my music, almost 8gigs and keep just my playlists, maybe 2gigs.

Not like I use the iPad to listen to music lol.

dcv1979

iPF Noob
Reaction score
only check the songs/playlists you want to be sync on your ipad.
you can do that in iTunes.
that way, limited music will be on your ipad.

iPadBiz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That sounds perfect. Thank you. One more question - since I have already done the sync from I-tunes -- can I cancel all of the tunes and start over with the lists I make?

As soon as you change what you sync it will remove all music and replace with what you've chosen to sync on your next backup.

mrhifi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Can someone please tell me the best way to get rid of unnecessary items, as I am running out of memory on my 16GB original iPad?

I can not figure out what are the memory hogs, and other data, I no longer need. I can see "about" which gives me some info, but how do I find how much each app, and one time use items I can delete? How do I delete?
Thanks,
mrhifi

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
To see how much space an app takes up, open iTunes and click on Apps on the left side of the screen under the Library section. Right click on any app and it will bring up a box where you can select Get Info and that will bring up a screen that will tell you exactly how big the app is.

itunes39.jpg

Most reactions

Latest posts