What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumors say the New Apple TV box to Come with Gaming Features

RaduTyrsina

News Team
Reaction score
apple-tv-gaming-620x388.jpg

Apple is a huge brand and has millions of loyal clients across the entire world, but it seems that the huge customer base wants some more devices coming out of Cupertino, not only newer and updated iPhones and iPads, which are Apple’s most important products. That’s why we’re seeing plenty of rumors related either to the iWatch or the standalone Apple TV that would expand beyond being just a media box. Apple CEO Tim Cook has recently reassured investors about Apple’s future, saying the following:

Innovation is deeply embedded in everybody here, we have zero issue coming up with things we want to do that we think we can disrupt in a major way.

Now, new rumors have been circulating, pointing to the fact that Apple could update its Apple TV into a set-top box with a revamped operating system based on iOS. The device won’t be a full-fledged TV set, but it will come with gaming support, meaning that games could be downloaded directly to the Apple TV. The device could be launched in March or earlier and it seems that developers are currently working on Bluetooth controller options, as well.

There are also claims that motion control systems could be included in Apple’s much-rumoured TV set, but nothing is sure at the moment. Apple has has recently spent $280 million buying the Israeli company PrimeSense that created the motion sensing technology used in Microsoft’s Kinect sensors. What do you think, is this the next big thing for Apple?

Source: iPhoneForums

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If there's PVP or online-play capabilities as well, that would open up the Apple entertainment/gaming business wide open. The one issue would be storage space. Unless Apple brings back larger user-accessible capacities like on the ATV1 and bringing in the available storage sizes similar to that of the iPod Classic with 80, 160, 320 GB storages, it would be fairly difficult to really expand on this particular market as most games take up approximately 6GB or more in storage (with respect to full-fledged titles). If this pans out, Apple just stepped into the gaming industry with a firm stance.

ardchoille

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If there's PVP or online-play capabilities as well, that would open up the Apple entertainment/gaming business wide open. The one issue would be storage space. Unless Apple brings back larger user-accessible capacities like on the ATV1 and bringing in the available storage sizes similar to that of the iPod Classic with 80, 160, 320 GB storages, it would be fairly difficult to really expand on this particular market as most games take up approximately 6GB or more in storage (with respect to full-fledged titles). If this pans out, Apple just stepped into the gaming industry with a firm stance.

Agreed, a set-top box with gaming capability won't go very far without a generous helping of local storage. If Apple does this right, they would quickly swallow up a good share of the gaming industry.

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I don't care about gaming so I will not be upgrading ;)

Sent from my Black 64GB Fifth Generation iPod touch using iPF

Ser Aphim

iPF Novice
Reaction score
What I was expecting was xbox games coming to the apple TV. But instead I find iOS games for apple TV.......

If apple does that the apple tv would be the worst gaming platform in the world. Well of they make it iOS games only.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
What I was expecting was xbox games coming to the apple TV. But instead I find iOS games for apple TV.......

If apple does that the apple tv would be the worst gaming platform in the world. Well of they make it iOS games only.

I don't know about that. There are some good iOS games. Surely you didn't expect Xbox on apple TV, right? Not in this universe.

Ser Aphim

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I don't know about that. There are some good iOS games. Surely you didn't expect Xbox on apple TV, right? Not in this universe.

Good iOS games, not great console games. Wait is it gonna adapt console, pc, or another device with touch screen platform?

I mean a apple version of xbox games. I think apple is underestimated in the land of gaming. I think they could have potential in the gaming buisness.

ardchoille

iPF Novice
Reaction score

You're not taking the future into consideration. I would think that iOS games would improve if the Apple TV were to become an iOS gaming platform.

Ser Aphim

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You're not taking the future into consideration. I would think that iOS games would improve if the Apple TV were to become an iOS gaming platform.

But we don't know what kind of gaming platform. It may be another Wii, or maybe a console platform. Or maybe improve its gaming capabilities by improving airplay.

wrathchild

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You people are expecting to much from Apple. This is only going to be a ATV 4 with ios 7.1 running with the ability to run ios apps on it. Nothing more. Remember, being able to run apps has always meant buying a $300 to $700 idevice. This will more than likely cost $200 for 16gb, $300 for 32gb, and so on. Unless they allow external hard drives to be supported. My guess is if anything, it would only stream from icloud and you will have to pay if you want more than the standard 5gb space.

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You people are expecting to much from Apple. This is only going to be a ATV 4 with ios 7.1 running with the ability to run ios apps on it. Nothing more. Remember, being able to run apps has always meant buying a $300 to $700 idevice. This will more than likely cost $200 for 16gb, $300 for 32gb, and so on. Unless they allow external hard drives to be supported. My guess is if anything, it would only stream from icloud and you will have to pay if you want more than the standard 5gb space.

I kind of agree with you. If it's like their other products it will be as you say. There are plenty of gaming consoles out there now. I don't see how this would make a big dent in market but what do I know? Apple operates with big profit margins in mind and the gaming industry as far as consoles go might not be for them.

Most reactions

Latest posts