What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RSS Reader?

jcherepy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is there another RSS Reader like Pulse that let's you read individual feeds instead of aggregating under single section headers? I really like Pulse, but it has a limit as to the number of feeds you can read. Flipboard is stunning, but it arranges the page to suit its needs, so that the feeds aren't in chronological order. The Flipboard developer says he has to arrange them that way because that's the way he has to fit them them on the page. It would be nice if he met his customer's needs and not his own. I had problems with Early Edition and didn't care for the way it mixes feeds.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Oh yeah, It should not have to sync with Google Reader.

ByronM

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Early Edition

Is there another RSS Reader like Pulse that let's you read individual feeds instead of aggregating under single section headers? I really like Pulse, but it has a limit as to the number of feeds you can read. Flipboard is stunning, but it arranges the page to suit its needs, so that the feeds aren't in chronological order. The Flipboard developer says he has to arrange them that way because that's the way he has to fit them them on the page. It would be nice if he met his customer's needs and not his own. I had problems with Early Edition and didn't care for the way it mixes feeds.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Oh yeah, It should not have to sync with Google Reader.

I would strongly suggest trying the new version of Early Edition. You stated you tried it, I am assuming it is the older (and free version). I use Pulse and Flipboard and agree with you on your statements. However the new -and unfortunately $ version of Early Edition is great. It has changed a lot, you can control the sections they go to or put them all under general. It was my third favorite RSS reader, when the new version came out, it made it to my #1 reader

OP
jcherepy

jcherepy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would strongly suggest trying the new version of Early Edition. You stated you tried it, I am assuming it is the older (and free version). I use Pulse and Flipboard and agree with you on your statements. However the new -and unfortunately $ version of Early Edition is great. It has changed a lot, you can control the sections they go to or put them all under general. It was my third favorite RSS reader, when the new version came out, it made it to my #1 reader

Thanks for the reply. It was the latest version I bought. I created a section, after some difficulty, I added two feeds to it, and no matter what I tried, I never could see the feeds. Some feeds I read in Pulse could not be found and added. MUCH too difficult to use.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I like Reeder. You can view your feeds all at once, by folder, or by individual feed. it syncs with Google Reader, if you use that service, but does not require it.

Mr. Reader is similar, but with more options.

Both are fairly traditional readers without the newspaper/magazine layout design. Reviews I've read usually have both these apps int he top 3 or 4. Reader is considered great for those that want a simpler user interface. Mr. Reader for those who want the more advanced feature set (and tweak-ability).

Here is AppAdvice's guide to RSS Readers. I don't' really agree with their ranking (I'd have put Reeder in the Essentials category). They list Zite clear at the bottom, but I've seen reviews that consider as a contender with Pulse and Flipboard.

Randomizer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I like Reeder. You can view your feeds all at once, by folder, or by individual feed. it syncs with Google Reader, if you use that service, but does not require it.

I have Reeder and I really want to like it. But I haven't been able to figure out our to view by individual feed. The main screen shows only the folders and inside the folders the actual articles. I'd like to be to view all articles within a specific feed. For this reason I keep reverting back to my previous favorite - FeeddlerRSS which provides folders in the left pain with each folder opening to individual feed if selected.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Reeder could use a help section.

To see the individual folders in a group, pinch out on the stack. This will break it down to each feed. Tap (or pinch out) on the feed to see just it's contents.

You can use the back arrow at the top right, or a pinch-in gesture to move back to the previous view.

Most reactions