What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ringtones

Mitch1950

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I brought a ringtone to assign to one of my contacts,but it doesn't work .Anybody have any ideas ????

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Ummm, are you sure you're in the correct forum? This is the iPad forum - and iPads don't have ringtones.

Maybe you meant to visit our sister forum at iPhone Forum

Marilyn

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Look again Marilyn, under Settings > Sounds. It's used with FaceTime and probably some of the third party video/audio communication apps. Might be new with iOS 5. I never looked before that.

@Mitch: Sorry, I can't really help here. I don't have anyone to play FaceTime tag with, so I can't do much testing. I did change my own contact in FaceTime to a customer ring. It worked when I used FaceTime to call the iPad from my iPhone. I assigned it in the FaceTime app, not in Contacts (though it does show up there). Maybe that made a difference.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Now that's just odd. I just double checked (cause I looked before I wrote the above) and I still don't see ringtones...

Oh, wait! It must be only on the iPad2! Cause there is no ringtone selection on the iPad1.

Sorry, Mitch. My bad. Didn't mean to steer you wrong.

The key is that you've got to get that ringtone into iTunes so you can sync it with the iPad, just like you'd sync songs. You can't just load it to the iPad - it's got to go through iTunes.

Again sorry. If neither twerppoet's or my suggestions help, can you give us more details on how you are trying to get those ringtones on the iPad? Maybe we can narrow it down if we know from where you got those ringtones and how exactly you are trying to put them in your iPad.

Marilyn

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Now that's just odd. I just double checked (cause I looked before I wrote the above) and I still don't see ringtones...

Oh, wait! It must be only on the iPad2! Cause there is no ringtone selection on the iPad1. . .

Makes sense. No camera, no FaceTime, no need for a ringtone.

BTW, there is a Buy More Tones link at the top of the ringtone settings. Takes you straight to that section of the iTunes store. You can probably do the same thing on the iPad 1 in your TextTone and other sound settings.

OP
Mitch1950

Mitch1950

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for replies,it's an ipad2 got the ringtone from iTunes and did sync it with iTunes.Then it came up assign to contact or default I assigned it to contact,that turned blue.Wooop Wooop thought I'd cracked it but no nothing

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Mitch1950 said:
Thanks for replies,it's an ipad2 got the ringtone from iTunes and did sync it with iTunes.Then it came up assign to contact or default I assigned it to contact,that turned blue.Wooop Wooop thought I'd cracked it but no nothing

So do you still get the default ringtone when that person/contact calls you with FaceTime, or no sound at all?

OP
Mitch1950

Mitch1950

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm not using facetime,and i just get the default sound like all the other emails,i needed a different sound for my daughter as i'm a moderator on a website and i don't want to keep seeing if it's my daughter every time it goes off.All very complicated

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Facetime ringtones only work with the Facetime function. If you are not using Facetime (e.g. your daughter is e-mailing you), then you will get the e-mail tone. And, AFAIK, there is no way to separate the sounds the Mail app makes; all get the same sound.

Hope that clarifies.

Marilyn

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I'm not using facetime,and i just get the default sound like all the other emails,i needed a different sound for my daughter as i'm a moderator on a website and i don't want to keep seeing if it's my daughter every time it goes off.All very complicated

Ok, Marilyn is right. No way to have different tones for Mail.

I'm going to guess that you are doing your moderation on the iPad. Otherwise it wouldn't be that big a deal to set the iPad up so that you could just glance at it whenever it beeps. You could plug into power, turn screen lock to never, and leave Mail open; as an example.

What you can do is set up Mail Notifications so that they are relatively unobtrusive and easy to check. Use Banner alert so that the notice shows up breifly, and out of the way, at the top center of the screen. Also add it to the Notification center, so that if you miss it all you have to do is swipe down from the top of the screen (in any app) to see the last few notifications, then swipe up to get it back out of the way.

This way you can keep an eye on incoming mail with a minimum of fuss, and ignore daughter (I hope she reads this :D) as needed; or anyone else you don't think deserves an immediate response.

MailNotifications.jpg.

Most reactions

Latest posts