What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Restoring from Backup when Hacked...

SPROINGY

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi Members,
Suppose a hacker has put some malware on your iPad. So, you backup your iPad, then go to Reset->Erase all Content and Settings.

Now, if you choose to restore your iPad from the backup, will you be reinstalling the malware, too? Or does a backup only backup the ‘legit’ content on your iPad? If a backup backs up the malware, too, a manual restore *may* have the advantage of allowing you to choose exactly what’s going back on your device, which hopefully would *not* include malware?

That said, I have recently Erased all Content and Settings twice and restored my iPad once from a backup and once manually. Neither of these options has stopped my iPad from unauthorized access.

Every day, when I wake up, I turn on my iPad and find that while my iPad was turned off, the hacker has messed around last night with my Settings, it’s time-consuming to thoroughly check and see what’s been done this time. The only way to stop these problems (which often involve a trip to the Service Center- more time lost!) is to make my iPad inaccessible to the hacker. I would happily do anything legal to put him and his nonsense in the past- permanently! But, I don’t know how to do that, nor does anyone I’ve asked, including people at Apple. I’d even buy a new computer, but I’m concerned that the hacker could get into it, too, because I don’t know how he got into this one!

Any ideas/advice for me?

Thanks! :)

OP
S

SPROINGY

iPF Novice
Reaction score
BikeFlagAZ, Thank you for the link! I never knew about it, and it may help me, so thanks again for taking your time on my behalf. :)

OP
S

SPROINGY

iPF Novice
Reaction score
BikeFlag, I’ve downloaded iVerify from the App Store. From what I read, it looks like an excellent diagnostic tool. If it can do all it claims, it will be *fantastic!*

Now, time to put it to the test! Frankly, I’m excited about this, hoping for a positive outcome! :)

OP
S

SPROINGY

iPF Novice
Reaction score
BikeFladAZ, I will do just that! I won’t know if the hacking stops or not for a while. I very much wish an Apple technician would do a ‘checkup’ on my iPad and give it a ‘clean bill of health’, or else find any other problems that may remain... But, where I am, I haven’t found anyone who’ll do the job. Because I don’t know how the hacker got into my machine in the first place, how can I know that their ‘point of entry’ has been eliminated? That’s really the point: Get them out and keep them out.

In the meantime, iVerify is, IMHO, an excellent diagnostic tool that I would recommend. My only real concern with iVerify is its instruction to disable JavaScript. Although they have good reasons for suggesting this, I wonder if it’s going to affect the performance of my iPad.

I’ll post again when I know more! :)

Most reactions

Latest posts