What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Replaced Glass - Only get a display if pressing on certain point while turning on

nhhandyman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Its a very, very long story but I was given "new glass" and a cracked ipad2 by my step daughter. My task, replace the glass. Plenty of videos out there on doing this - started, got it done, but the sucker, I though, would not turn on. Plug it in, its still working fine just no display.

After reseating everything several times I could get a clear display if I happen to have my thumb depressed about half way up on the right side, about 3/4" inch in from the edge. It wouldn't last long - and it had to be turned on while my finger was depressed at this location.

Seems like the LCD is fine and the backlight is fine - what I'm wondering is if the glass I got was not so fine.

Quick backup: i don't know any history of where this new glass and frame came from - I suspect someone on craigs's list (as this is where her dad usually buys things). I know that the frame that it was in had several broken retainer clips so it might have been from another dead ipad2 - I simply don't know.

I got the copper strip moved over, removed any extra foam padding - everything seems to fit nice and tight.

I have turned the unit off and back on (read somewhere that sometimes replacing things requires a power-down).

My questions are:

- I'm leaning toward the new glass being not so new and possibly damaged
- Is there any other diags I could do (holding my finger on that one spot)?

Thanks,

Brian - ipad step-dad

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Actually, it sounds like a loose connection or perhaps a poor solder joint. Whatever it is, it is probably close to the place where you are pressing on the glass.

OP
N

nhhandyman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'll be attempting it tonight - given I get a clear display when I press and turn on, I'm hoping its in that connector right there

wish me luck!

OP
N

nhhandyman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
See the below image. If I'm careful I can hold everything 'in place' and the screen turns on and
displays correctly.

IMAG1357.jpg

It looks like just the two solders at the end (which appear to be for grounding but also perhaps to hold
the connector in place) are loose.

I have a soldering iron and have done PCB soldering before - but on a larger size board... Could I attempt to solder this
top piece back down??

This is from the other side:

IMAG1356.jpg

I have a few more but I'd have to resize them (1M limit here it seems...)

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I don't see that you have a lot to lose by trying. You can't really leave it that way and expect to have a usable iPad.

The main think is that you'll want to keep the heat to the minimum. This is how I would do it, based on my limited experience with heat sensitive components.

Use something to weigh the piece down into place. Using a fairly small solder diameter, place the solder on the joint, then place the soldering iron on top of the solder. Lift it as soon as the solder flows together top and bottom. Let it cool down before doing the other joint.

The main thing is to avoid an accumulation of heat. I don't know if this component is heat sensitive, but no need to take chances.

At least you found a visible problem. So often it's difficult or impossible to see what's wrong.

Good luck, again.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Using flux is critical if you wish to solder that down without burning things up.

OP
N

nhhandyman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
To close this off - the issue was the lcd screen - plugged a new one in, put some new clips on and tossed it back together.

That will teach me to take on 'simple projects' like this !!!

Most reactions

Latest posts