What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rent Movies - SD or HD?

AlexanderHC

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey guys

Just wondering- if you're only going to watch the rented movies on the iPad,
is it worth getting the HD rental and pay extra, or just stick to the SD quality?
Do you notice the difference on the iPad?

Regards
Alexander

Brad Groux

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.bradgroux.com
720p videos are 1280x720 resolution.
Standard definition videos are 720x480 resolution.

The iPad's screen is 1024x768, so you won't watch an HD in it's full resolution unless you zoom in, and then the sides are cropped significantly. On the other hand you'll have to upscale the standard definition to fit the screen. My suggestion is to download an HD trailer and an SD trailer and see if you can live with the SD or pay the extra for HD.

OP
A

AlexanderHC

iPF Noob
Reaction score
720p videos are 1280x720 resolution.
Standard definition videos are 720x480 resolution.

The iPad's screen is 1024x768, so you won't watch an HD in it's full resolution unless you zoom in, and then the sides are cropped significantly. On the other hand you'll have to upscale the standard definition to fit the screen. My suggestion is to download an HD trailer and an SD trailer and see if you can live with the SD or pay the extra for HD.

When you say "download an HD trailer", do you mean press the "preview" button? I tried that, and I couldnt see the difference... Maybe I need to try with some other movies ;)

Chrisman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
there is a difference, but it's not huge. but HD definitely does look better.

Brad Groux

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.bradgroux.com
uhh, dont people rent movies to watch on their tv? i don't know a tv, blue ray player, dvd player that has a SD slot
redface.gif

otherwise there's lots of free things to watch online, i don't see this going very far.

and i agree there should be a refund for returned cards.
i think HD is better.

SD = Standard Definition, not an SD Card.

OP
A

AlexanderHC

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Its cool to see people trying out stuff and reporting results. :thumbsup:

What are you hinting at?
I aint suppose to try out anything. Simply asking if its worth it to pay extra to watch an HD movie on the iPad, instead of getting the cheaper SD one.

Btw Im ofc talking about renting movies on the iTunes Store

OP
A

AlexanderHC

iPF Noob
Reaction score

NumbLock

iPF Novice
Reaction score
AlexanderHC said:
Sure, telling me when you see a comparison out there. So I dont have to waste my money on the same movie to get it twice ;)
Better yet, you download a movie in SD, and I'll get in HD. Then you fly to Switzerland and we'll compare. Tell you what, I'll even buy you a coffee when you get here. Think of the savings ;)

OP
A

AlexanderHC

iPF Noob
Reaction score
AlexanderHC said:
Sure, telling me when you see a comparison out there. So I dont have to waste my money on the same movie to get it twice ;)
Better yet, you download a movie in SD, and I'll get in HD. Then you fly to Switzerland and we'll compare. Tell you what, I'll even buy you a coffee when you get here. Think of the savings ;)

If you buy the flight ticket, its a deal ;)

NumbLock

iPF Novice
Reaction score
AlexanderHC said:
If you buy the flight ticket, its a deal ;)

Hm...hehe. How about a compromise. Can you take a screen shot with home+sleep during video playback?

OP
A

AlexanderHC

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Not from what I can see. The only thing about "Trailer" is the "preview" button, but I dont think that changes. Not sure though.

Most reactions

Latest posts