What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rename ipad air 2

Gtatler

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have just purchased a new iPad Air 2 128Gb. Set up and chose restore from backup (previous iPad 2 32Gb was backed up to iTunes). All seemed to go OK until final display when hardly any apps were visible on the new device. Tried a full restore via iTunes and the same occurred. Then left new ipad plugged in to iTunes for some few minutes, and chose apps. All the app screens on the original ipad were displayed. So I tried a synch - which is still going on as I have lots of photos to synch.

HOWEVER, and here is my problem, I now have two iPads with the same name. How on earth do I rename my new ipad, AND get it recognised in iTunes (and Find My Iphone -that also has two iPads with the same name showing) as a separate device ?

Sent from my iPad 2 using Tapatalk

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have just purchased a new iPad Air 2 128Gb. Set up and chose restore from backup (previous iPad 2 32Gb was backed up to iTunes). All seemed to go OK until final display when hardly any apps were visible on the new device. Tried a full restore via iTunes and the same occurred. Then left new ipad plugged in to iTunes for some few minutes, and chose apps. All the app screens on the original ipad were displayed. So I tried a synch - which is still going on as I have lots of photos to synch.

HOWEVER, and here is my problem, I now have two iPads with the same name. How on earth do I rename my new ipad, AND get it recognised in iTunes (and Find My Iphone -that also has two iPads with the same name showing) as a separate device ?

Go to Settings>General>About>Name. When you tap on Name, you can edit the name of your iPad. This will allow the new name to be recognized by iTunes and Find My iPhone.

OP
Gtatler

Gtatler

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Many thanks. Presumably I will have to connect to iTunes and synch before I can use either iPad and be sure that iTunes knows which is which.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
iTunes does not use the device's name to track which is which, so even if the devices have the same name it will keep separate sync profiles for each device. When you restore and sync it will create a sync profile for the new device. It will 'probably' be the same settings as the old one, but changing the sync settings for either device should not change the other's settings.

I should probably add a few more shoulds in there. Sync settings, especially when you first start syncing a new device, can be temperamental.

Backups are more problematic. If you need to use a backup before you've established a new name, then there are two ways to tell. One is by the date, if you remember which device you backed up last. The second is to hover your mouse pointer over the backup in iTunes Preferences, the Devices tab. You'll see some number unique to the device backed up, including the serial number. At least you can in iTunes on a Mac.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Naming the iPad is mainly so that you can tell them apart when looking at your list of backups, find my iPhone, etc.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Naming the iPad is mainly so that you can tell them apart when looking at your list of backups, find my iPhone, etc.

It's also handy when using the hotspot or AirDrop features, so you know what's hooking up to what; which is probably why Apple defaults to giving them obvious names like John's iPad.

It would be nice if more Bluetooth device makers were as considerate. Most devices I end up with have easily remembered names like PX324-23M

Most reactions

Latest posts