What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Remote desktop issue

NicolaiThorup

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,
I recently purchased an iPad mainly for work purposes.
I'm having a few issues with remote desktop to the servers at my work though.

Normally on my home pc i set up a vpn connection .. go to remote dekstop and for example write ffmail01 if I want to access the mail server.

On the iPad i have set up the same vpn connection but when i'm using the remote desktop apps like RDP and Pocketcloud and i write ffmail01 as a host they can't connect.

Thanks in advance

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Why don't you just use IP address? Not all RDP apps support access via NetBIOS names.

Michael

OP
N

NicolaiThorup

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I see, is there to view the access point (IP) on a specific server if you have the name and are connected to the vpn

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It doesn't matter whether you are connected via VPN or locally... if the remote app does not support NetBIOS names you have to use IP address.

Michael

Netwin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If the server is on a DHCP network allocation, you will not be able to use the IP address, since it changes at predetermined intervals, you can use something like dyndns.com to always maintain a host to a routable IP address.

If the server’s IP address is listed as a static address and has a Public DNS entry as host/domain myserver.mydomain.com = real routable IP address 001.001.001.001 will work without question anywhere on the internet. If necessary, make you specify the port at the end of the string myserver.mydomain.com:#### etc. and if it is IPSEC, SSL, etc. or whatever the VPN connectivity program entry requires.

Some well-built secure networks will also require that you register you MAC Address from the computer that you use to access the VPN.

J

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If the server is on a DHCP network allocation, you will not be able to use the IP address, since it changes at predetermined intervals, you can use something like dyndns.com to always maintain a host to a routable IP address.

If the server’s IP address is listed as a static address and has a Public DNS entry as host/domain myserver.mydomain.com = real routable IP address 001.001.001.001 will work without question anywhere on the internet. If necessary, make you specify the port at the end of the string myserver.mydomain.com:#### etc. and if it is IPSEC, SSL, etc. or whatever the VPN connectivity program entry requires.

Some well-built secure networks will also require that you register you MAC Address from the computer that you use to access the VPN.

J
Huh? Public IP is irrelevant: he already successfully connected via VPN. Therefore already inside the local network.

Moreover, one inside via VPN, he is not trying to access machine by domain name... but by NetBIOS name. Big difference.

Finally, these are work servers. I don't come across many servers that have DHCP assigned local IPs. Ergo, there should be no problem using IP address once in via VPN.

Michael

Last edited:

kryptykk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
teamviewer teamviewer teamviewer.

They've absolutely perfected Remote Connections.

jtrosky

iPF Noob
Reaction score
accordlayingkit said:
Woooooooo weeeeeeeeee $139.00!!! I bet it's nice though

Actually, TeamViewer is FREE for personal use! It only cost $139 if your business installs in on all of their corporate systems, etc...

There is a free version in the App Store (actually, it's the exact same product - just different licenses).

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Teamviewer is not a remote desktop client. How exactly is that going to help the OP's situation, as originally stated?

jtrosky

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tinman said:
Teamviewer is not a remote desktop client. How exactly is that going to help the OP's situation, as originally stated?

Correct, it does not support RDP protocol, but it does allow remote control of a PC... It's a client and a server - but you need it on both sides.

Last edited:

USBill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Try using a fully qualified name. Instead of connecting to mypc try mypc.my company.com (substituting your server and domain names of course).

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Try using a fully qualified name. Instead of connecting to mypc try mypc.my company.com (substituting your server and domain names of course).
Apparently people are missing the actual problem here.

It has nothing to do with domain names or how to connect from outside a LAN. It is about trying to use a local NetBIOS name to connect to a local PC (via VPN).

He is trying to access a server via RDP by using its NetBIOS name--not a domain name--which not all iOS RDP apps support. This would be the name you see when browsing a network (e.g., Accounting1, Sales2, mailserver, etc.). It is not at all the same as a registered domain name. Using NetBIOS name can only work on iOS if the RDP app actually supports NetBIOS names. Not all do.

Michael

jtrosky

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok, if that's the case, then the latest update of "Remote Desktop - RDP" specifically lists that it supports Netbios names now, so hopefully that helps. iTap RDP (my personal favorite) also support netbios names.

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok, if that's the case, then the latest update of "Remote Desktop - RDP" specifically lists that it supports Netbios names now, so hopefully that helps. iTap RDP (my personal favorite) also support netbios names.
Yes that indeed appears to be the case. :)

Michael

Most reactions

Latest posts