What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Reminder App

Hawaiifundiver

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me how to link the calendar and reminders app? It seems weird to have to enter things twice. I would hope that the two could work together. Thank you.

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Why would you enter reminders on your calendar as well?

OP
H

Hawaiifundiver

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Exactly. I put an appointment on the calendar and it would be nice if it came up on the reminder check list app. Wouldnt that be great? Right? What would the reminder app be for? Shopping list? Things to do?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
It's a philosophy as to what you put on each. I reserver the Calendar for appointments, stuff that has to be at a certain day and time. I also use the Calendar to mark certain dates as significant in some way, as long as they don't require an action. Everything that is not hardwired into a specific time I put in reminders.

By the way, they are linked at iCloud.com where you can see and edit the Reminder tasks in the Calendar app.

If you set up notifications right, you will see both calendar events and tasks for the current day in the Notification Center.

So, I get reminders for the day at the Notification Center, both hard schedules from the Calendar, and soft reminders from Reminders.

For planing I check the Calendar for what must happen that day.

After that I look at Reminders to see what else I can do, or for specific lists I'v accumulated (like the shopping list) when the situation applies.

I suppose it's a mindset I got from reading David Allen's book Getting Things Done (yes, the origin of the GTD thing). I even read the sequel. Not that I actually bother with most of it these days. Life is lazy right now.

Though I can understand your desire to see everything at once in one app. There are several third party apps that will do that for you. I believe Pocket Informant is popular, and integrates with Calendar. Maybe they'll get around to integrating it with Reminders too, if that is possible.

Last edited:

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The new iOS 5 "Reminders" app is a generic list app somewhat optimized for "tasks." There are, of course, considerably more sophisticated apps. The one I use is "RememberTheMilk." The "Pro" version is $25 per year and may go beyond what most people need. But if you're looking for a sophisticated task management system it's worth considering. Can be accessed by various devices either by a local app or on the web, has features for setting recurring tasks (in several different ways, e.g every 30 days, every month, every two weeks, etc.). In the context of the iPad one of it's strongest features is complete integration with the Calendar app.

Most reactions

Latest posts