What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Releasing "Free" Memory

aled

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My Ipad1 has developed an issue where it does not automatically release memory when an app is closed. I have an app that releases the memory and I have 100mg plus available but this goes down to 3/4 mg in no time at all . Any ideas why this has crept up on me over the last few weeks.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The iPad keeps app in RAM (memory) until it needs the extra space for other apps. At that point it will automatically clear older apps. This is by design, in order to make it possible to switch between recent apps where they left off, and quickly.

Almost all apps are frozen when the are not open on the screen. That means they take up no resources except some space in RAM. Apps that are exceptions include those that will play music in the background, apps still downloading (up to 10 minutes before they get frozen), background GPS navigation, and a few other less common/obvious features.

The only time you should have to worry about what apps are still in RAM is if you are having problems with a specific app, or overall usability.

For a specific app, you can clear it from RAM manually (see below)

For general usability you could go to the trouble of removing them all manually, or just restart (or if that does not work reset) the iPad.

Understand that the app list in the multitask bar is only that, a list of apps that you've opened, most recent first. While the most recent are more likely to still be in RAM, the presence of an app in the list does not indicate it is. After a restart there are no apps in RAM until you open one.

The most likely reason you are seeing differences in performance is that app are getting bigger. Apps designed to work on the newer models have larger resources, and of course, developers tend to stop designing with older models in mind after two or three years.

Other than that, all I can suggest is trying the usual fixes below, if you have not already been using them.

I hope this helps. Good luck.

--------------------------------
The usual fixes:

When you have problems with an app it's a good idea to clear it from RAM.

Close/Clear the app: With the problem app closed, double tap on the Home button to get the multitask bar. Tap and hold on any icon in the bar until they jiggle, then tap the minus sign on the problem app. This will remove it from RAM and insure a clean start the next time you launch the app.

If that does not work try a restart,

Restart: Hold down the power button until the power off slider appears. Slide it off. When the iPad finishes shutting down, hold down the power button again until the Apple logo appears. Apple recommends you restart the iPad at least once a month.

and then a reset if that does not work.

Reset: Hold down the power and home buttons until the Apple logo appears. The iPad will reboot. This usually takes a bit longer than a restart. takes a bit longer than a restart.

Reset All Settings: Another, somewhat more drastic thing you can do is Reset All Settings. You'll find this under Settings > General > Reset > Reset All Settings. It won't erase any of your content, apps, or accounts; but you will have to go through most of your other settings and re-tweak them back to your liking.

Most reactions

Latest posts