What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Red exclamation mark for i message?

anmanwar

iPF Novice
Reaction score
How come whenever I try to message anyone after typing in their name I get a red exclamation mark? My daughter cam message me...AND I can reply to her messages...but I cannot message her because I get the red exclamation?
Thanks!

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
You are probably trying to use a different email address than the one her device is registered for. Ask her to go into her Messages settings and tell you what email address she is set up to receive with.

If she is using an iPhone, it is possible she has no email addresses set up. If so, have her turn on the ability to receive messages on one of her email accounts. Or you can use her phone number. Phone numbers work to connect to iPhones. It will even cross over and use SMS on the iPhone when the internet is not available.

In any case, the problem is probably on her end. You are getting the warning because the address you are sending to is not recognized by the iMessages server. That would not affect her ability to start a connection with you.

Last edited:
OP
anmanwar

anmanwar

iPF Novice
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
You are probably trying to use a different email address than the one her device is registered for. Ask her to go into her Messages settings and tell you what email address she is set up to receive with.

If she is using an iPhone, it is possible she has no email addresses set up. If so, have her turn on the ability to receive messages on one of her email accounts. Or you can use her phone number. Phone numbers work to connect to iPhones. It will even cross over and use SMS on the iPhone when the internet is not available.

In any case, the problem is probably on her end. You are getting the warning because the address you are sending to is not recognized by the iMessages server. That would not affect her ability to start a connection with you.

Thanks...I will check that out!

OP
anmanwar

anmanwar

iPF Novice
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
Good luck. Please let us know how it turns out.

I realized...we are both "registered" under my account...at MY email address. Will I need to set her up a different account???
Thanks!

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Yes, you'll want to use a different email account for iMessages on her iPad. You can leave your's if you want, and add a new one (provided she has her own email address); then just remember to use that email when trying to call her.

Just tap Receive At in Settings > Messages, then Add Another Email. If I remember my GMail accounts worked fine, but my Yahoo one didn't. Once you've set up the new email account it should be possible to remove yours if desired. Just tap on it and choose Remove This Email.

There is no need to sign out of your Apple ID, unless you want to give her an iCloud account of her own, and use that email address.

You can set up FaceTime the same way, btw.

Last edited:
OP
anmanwar

anmanwar

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thank you! It worked! Also we were able to work FaceTime!

Most reactions

Latest posts