What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

External Microphone Help!

alavelle

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, this is my first post - so I hope i'm in the right place.

My kids are into movie-making, and we've started various projects filming with my iPad Mini. Outfitted a kit with a Makayama mount, wide angle lens, some lighting, etc. I want my audio not to record from the built-in Mini mic, but form external mics. I've looked at lots of videos of people doing this - and decided to try a wireless route (why make things easy?).

- From Amazon i purchased the Audio 2000s AWM6023 (its 2 wireless VHF Lavoliers that talk to a base unit)
- I also got a 10' cable that takes the 1/4" mixed output from that system, and converts it to a 3-pole 3.5M male plug
- Then i got the StarTech adapter that takes a 3-pole 3.5mm and turns it into a 4-pole (purpose built to take an external mic and run it into an iOS device)

Here are the products (this is my first post, system won't let me post links!):

Audio 2000s AWM6023
[h=1]HOSA CMP-110 Mono Interconnect - 3.5mm TRS to 1/4" TS
StarTech - Model: MUYHSMFF
[/h]
Only problem i have is that it doesn't work! I can't get the Mini to recognize the external mic. I have turned everything on, plugged everything in and left plugging the 4-pole into the Mini as the last step (per other forum posts i've seen about the StarTech cable). But i can't get it to work. I'm worried the whole Wireless Mic kit from Audio2000 is just powered wrong and doesn't output in a compatable way?

Thanks in advance!

cecilrwilliams

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Way over my head. In Setting, Privacy, Microphone do you have app that can enable the microphone? I am sure you check this.

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I think you may have the wrong headset splitter from Startech, going by their website, you need the MUYHSMFFADW, which has a specific headphone and mic split out.

OP
A

alavelle

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Adapters are the same..

I'm pretty sure that MUYHSMFFADW and MUYHSMFF are exactly the same adapters, just one is black and the other is white with a plastic housing.
So unfortunately I don't think that the adapter is the issue :(

Most reactions

Latest posts